Category Archives: Botox
How to Get Injectables Without Looking Overdone
Are you interested in trying Botox and fillers but worried they might make you look weird or overdone? You’re not alone. It’s a valid concern. Chances are, you’ve seen someone who’s gone too far with their face…and that image always comes to mind when you consider diving into the world of injectables, keeping you from taking the plunge once again. Is it even possible to get a subtle, natural-looking result? If so, how?
First, it’s important to understand that what you’re seeing isn’t always the result of injectables alone. Often, there has been plastic surgery or other procedures involved as well.
The answer to our question about achieving natural results is YES. You can have a beautiful, natural result with injectables that does NOT make you look strange or like a different person. Here’s what you need to know:
- The person you choose to inject you is the most important decision you’ll make. You should seek a Master Injector who understands the anatomy of the face, who injects safely and conservatively. They should be experienced and well-trained.
- Communicate with your injector. Tell your injector what you’re hoping to achieve, your concerns, your budget, etc. We offer a free facial analysis with our injectors prior to your treatment. This is a great time to discuss your concerns and how they can be addressed.
- Build a relationship. This is actually a really important part of the process. Getting to know your injector and letting them get to know you on a personal level-your lifestyle, your activities, things that are important to you will help them to understand your wants and needs. It also builds trust and opens up more honest communication to help you both achieve your goals.
- Be accepting when the answer is “no”. A good injector doesn’t always say yes to every injection request. There are areas that are “no-fly zones” that are dangerous to inject, and sometimes more filler or Botox isn’t the answer. A great Master Injector should have your best interests at heart, and sometimes that means saying no.
- Understand that filler is a process. Amazing results are not achieved in one session. Depending on your age, volume loss, and skin quality, it may take several visits to achieve your desired results. We will communicate this with you as we develop your customized plan.
We would love to see you at the Sherman Aesthetic Center to help you achieve a natural, refreshed look. Our Master Injectors are knowledgeable, experienced, highly trained, and caring. Call us for a free facial analysis at 615-297-5798!
Bridal Party Treatments with Zero Downtime!
Looking for quick treatments that will have your skin glowing on your wedding day? Sherman Aesthetic Center created this infographic that includes five bridal party treatments with no downtime! For flawless skin on your wedding day, Botox can be used to soften areas of the face such as forehead lines, crows feet, a perpetual frown and more. Our lip fillers such as Volbella, Restylane Silk, and Juvederm will give your lips the perfect shape and allow your lipstick to look flawless on your special day! Latisse and permanent makeup will allow you to wake up the day of the wedding with your makeup already looking great. Lastly, tighten, lighten, and remove unwanted hair with a laser and light therapy such as laser photo rejuvenation (IPL) or laser hair removal!
Contact Sherman Aesthetic Center to schedule your bridal party pampering day!
5 Tricks to Avoid Bruising after an Injectable Treatment
“Everyone will notice, but no one will know!”
5 Tricks to Avoid Bruising after an Injectable Treatment
- Avoid blood thinning medication. Many patients do not realize these common over the counter medications increase your chance of bruising: Aspirin, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Aleve, Advil, and NSAID-containing products (Midol, Excedrin, cold medicine). These should be stopped 2 weeks prior to your treatment, and 2 days after. “But what if I get a headache?” Tylenol is absolutely fine to take as a pain reliever. **If you take these medications for a medical condition, do not stop as controlling the medical condition is likely more important than controlling a bruise!
- Plan a girl’s night out…2 days before your injectable treatment, and a day after. Alcohol has anti-platelet effects, making it easier to bruise; therefore, avoiding alcohol prior to injectable treatments will decrease your risk of bruising.
- Stop vitamins A, E, K…and any herb starting with a G. Ginko Bilboa, Ginsing, and Glucosamine all have blood thinning properties, and therefore-you guessed it- can cause bruising. Also, avoid fish oil, omega 3 fatty acids, and high doses of Green Tea.
- Pick up some fresh pineapple from the grocery store. Fresh pineapple contains bromelein-an enzyme excellent for bruising and inflammation. If the actual fruit has too much sugar or acid for your system, you can find tablets of Bromelein to take instead of pineapple. Eat ½ cup pineapple or take the supplements at least 1 week prior to injection.
- Timing…if you have a big event coming up, plan your treatment at least 2 weeks prior. This allows time for swelling and any bruising to subside. You can also find inexpensive “green tone” concealer to place on any bruise to cancel out the red/purple tone, followed by your “brown flesh tone” base, and remember, to place on any bruise, and lipstick is a beautiful concealer for any bruise on the lip!
Dr. Sherman featured on eHealth Radio!
Dr. Sherman was recently invited to discuss “Lose your Number 11 with Botox Cosmetic: Know the Myths and Facts”
Listen to interview with host Eric Michaels & guest Dr. Deborah Sherman discuss the following:
- What does “lose your 11” refer to?
- How does BOTOX relieve the ‘11’?
- What would you say are some common misconceptions about BOTOX?
- What is the most important thing you tell your patients about getting BOTOX treatments?
- What other issues can BOTOX resolve?
To learn more about this topic, Botox or how to lose your Number 11, feel free to contact us today and schedule a consultation with Dr. Sherman!
I’m going to ask you to sit in my proverbial chair at the office. Take a look in the mirror. I want you to look past the angry lines between your brows, yes, even the wrinkles on your forehead. For a moment, let’s focus on your mid face. Often, the first thing that patients notice when we discuss volume deficit or the “falling face” is their nasolabial folds, or the “parentheses” that travel from either side of your nose down to the corners of your mouth.
The root of the problem is often not what it seems at first glance. As we age, our faces fall down and in, creating a saggy, tired, worn-out appearance. The first thing to fall and flatten? Our cheeks. We lose elasticity and, ultimately, support for the mid and lower face. Lack of support from the cheekbones creates a heavy nasolabial fold.
At this point your nodding your head incessantly and saying, “Fine, fine! Yes, I get it. But what’s the solution?!”
Never fear, my friends, Voluma is here!
Voluma is the latest hyaluronic acid filler to FINALLY make its appearance in the U.S. (it’s been out in Europe for years). Thicker and longer-lasting than its sister Juvederm, Voluma is FDA-approved for use in the cheeks to restore lost volume. It has high G-Prime (this, essentially, is bounce) content and can last up to 2 years, nearly double the duration of other fillers. Voluma adds support to the mid face, giving an instant lift to the cheeks…and taking pressure off of those pesky nasolabial folds.
As always, our goal at Sherman Aesthetic Center is to give you a natural appearance that is wholly YOU. We aim for improvement and for a look that makes people wonder, “What’s different?” Not “What did they DO?!”
Your liquid lift awaits!
Botox Myths: Debunked!
In our practice, we hear a lot of Botox “myths”- statements that patients have heard from other people, from the media, from the internet- that aren’t necessarily true. It’s time some of these myths were debunked!
Here are a few that we hear most often…
1. Botox is a poison.
Botox is a purified protein that has been used for over 100 medical conditions in over 75 countries. This researched medical prescription product has been used by Dr. Sherman and her Master Injectors since 1987. Over 1100 clinical studies have been published in medical journals, demonstrating its safety and effectiveness when given by a well-trained and experienced Master Injector.
2. Fillers and Botox do the same thing.
Filler and Botox work quite differently. Simply put, filler fills, Botox relaxes the action of the muscle that is causing the wrinkle.
Filler treats areas that have lost collagen and volume, softening the wrinkle.
Essentially, Botox puts your wrinkle-causing muscle in “time out”. Botox relaxes overactive muscles that create wrinkle creases. This prevents fine lines and wrinkles from becoming deeper and enhances skin texture.
3. Botox will make me look like a “surprised” celebrity, and I will have no expression.
In the hands of a Master Injector, Botox should never make you look surprised or frozen. Moderation and correct technique are key. Botox can relax the “angry” muscle between the brows, making the furrowed brow much less apparent. You should still be able to show emotion and expression. The goal is to look natural and refreshed-not freaky and frozen.
4. Botox is only for women.
If you’ve ever heard of “Bro-tox”, you know this one’s a myth!
“Every year, we are seeing an increase in men coming in for Botox,” says Dr. Sherman. “Many men want to look less angry in the boardroom or put on their best face for an upcoming job interview. These days, your face is your calling card, and both men and women want to put their best face forward.”
5. The best time to get Botox is when I see wrinkles on my face.
Once wrinkles appear on your face, the damage has been done. We like to think of Botox as “skin fitness”-preventative care- like using a good sunscreen to prevent sun damage. The more you train your facial muscles to relax with Botox, the less those muscles will break down collagen and prevent wrinkles. If you prevent wrinkles from forming in the first place, you can focus on maintenance rather than the longer road to correction.
So when do you start?
Because no two faces are alike, a customized facial analysis by a Master Injector can educate you on the best timing for your treatment.
6. My wrinkles will get worse than they were to begin with if I stop using Botox.
They won’t! Once your Botox wears off, your facial muscles and skin will return to normal, as they were before your treatment. You will NOT suddenly wake up with saggy skin and deeper wrinkles.
“Skin fitness” is optimized when Botox treatments occur every 3-6 months, depending on your personal needs.
For more information about Botox and other non-surgical cosmetic treatments contact us today!
Botox Frequently Asked Questions
Botox is a purified protein that has been approved by the FDA for wrinkle reduction. Botox has been studied extensively for over 25 years verifying its safety and use for cosmetic purposes. For the past 15 years, Botox Cosmetic is the number one cosmetic treatment people choose every year to look younger.
How does Botox works?
Botox is a purified protein that puts muscles in a temporary time-out which stops the creasing of skin. When the overactive muscle is in time-out, this stops the break down of collagen and allows the skin to have a softer, smooth appearance. This is why it can soften wrinkles and improve skin quality which can lead to a natural more youthful you!
What is the difference between Botox and dermal fillers?
Botox stops wrinkles caused by overactive muscles. Although Botox stops the process of forming new wrinkles, those wrinkles which are present at rest from repeated expressions that causes loss of collagen ,also known as “sinking wrinkles” such as the parenthesis around the mouth, sagging cheeks, and down-turned mouth corners. These “sinking wrinkles” may also benefit from a facial filler that can replenish the building blocks of skin. Filler softens “sinking wrinkles” by filling in the lines and adding volume.
Note in the above photo that the patient has a “Number 1” between the brows.
Some patients may have a “Number 1,” “Number 11,” or “Number 111.” Notice the improvement after a Botox Cosmetic treatment between the brows.
How long does Botox last?
Botox lasts 3-4 months on average. It is important to receive Botox with a Master Injector who can analyze your unique facial features to determine the proper dose and customized pattern you need for optimal results.
Are Botox injections painful?
Botox injections take five minutes and have minimal discomfort. If you prefer, you may request a topical anesthetic cream may be used to make it very tolerable.
What areas on my face can I get Botox injected?
In the hands of a Master Injector, Botox can be used to soften the “Number 11” between the brows, crows feet, smooth horizontal forehead lines, dimpling of the chin, aging vertical bands of the neck, and the down-turned corners of the mouth.
How long until I can see the final results after my first treatment?
Botox generally takes 7-14 days to take full effect. Some patients may start to see results as early as 5 days.
Will I still be able to make facial expressions?
At the Sherman Aesthetic Center, a Master Injectors will perform a facial analysis to determine the correct pattern of Botox that will create a natural, refreshed look. With a Master Injector technique, you can lose the lines without losing your expressions!
Can facial muscles become weaker after Botox?
The facial muscles will never cease to work even after multiple treatments- Dr. Sherman has received Botox as a patient for over 10 years! She still receives a treatment regularly every 3-4 months and says Botox Cosmetic is the number one reason her skin looks younger than her actual age!
Can I have an allergic reaction to Botox?
The FDA does not require allergy testing for Botox as this is not a common side effect.
What are the risks and side effects?
When you receive a Botox treatment, there is the uncommon risk of a droopy eyelid. This is a very rare occurrence–but this is why the Master Injectors at the Sherman Aesthetic Center have gone through extensive training to evaluate each unique face and determine the pattern that is customized for you. Rarely, a patient can experience dry eye when the crow’s feet are treated, but we have a biomicroscope at the Sherman Aesthetic Center that can help us diagnose and treat you if you experience any dry eye after the Botox treatment. As with any injection, you may experience bruising from the treatment which always goes away after a few days. When you come in for your treatment, we can answer any questions you may have about adverse effects with the treatment. Many studies show a greater than 90% satisfaction rate with Botox Cosmetic when given by a Master Injector.
How often will I need Botox treatment?
If you are looking to prevent collagen breakdown which leads to fine lines and wrinkles, Dr. Sherman suggests a Botox treatment every 3-4 months.
How is the recovery time?
There is no downtime with Botox. You can get your lunchtime Botox treatment, reapply your makeup, and go right back to work!
Can I have Botox along with other skin care cosmetic treatments?
You can have Botox and filler on the same office visit. It is not recommended to receive a laser treatment, microdermabrasion, or a facial peel on the same day as treatment.
How do I know whether Botox or a dermal filler is right for me?
You may call us at 615 297-5798 for a free facial analysis at the Sherman Aesthetic Center with one of our Master Injectors. Because no two faces and wrinkles are alike, it takes a facial analysis from an Expert at the Sherman Aesthetic Center to customize a treatment leading to a natural, beautiful you!