Category Archives: skin
Skincare is Self Care
As summer approaches and businesses are slowly reopening, we are cautiously re-entering our new normal. For many, this means going back to work, getting back to the grind (albeit a different kind of grind, with face masks and distancing), and potentially more stress. Amid the pandemic and being isolated at home, things have been brought to light that we’ve been too distracted to notice in our busy lives. It has forced us to slow down (way down) and focus on the most basic things. We’re also noticing areas we’ve neglected that need more love and attention, whether that’s our spiritual lives, our spouses, our children, our home, our friends, or even ourselves.
I hope that during this time, you’ve been able to take a look at yourself and make needed changes. To let some things go, to hold onto the important things fiercely, and to allow yourself to grow.
As you re-enter this new normal, don’t throw self care to the wind! We probably all need a little extra right now. What can we do? SKINCARE! Skincare IS self care. It is, and always has been, so important. We can inject you with all of the most beautiful Botox and filler, but if you’re not taking care of your skin, you’re missing out on the most basic building block of anti-aging care. It’s never too late to start taking care of your skin!
What you put on your skin-or more importantly, what you’re NOT putting on your skin- matters. Your run-of-the-mill drugstore regimen is probably not cutting it, whether you realize it or not. Medical grade skincare that is customized for you and your needs will change your skin. It will protect you, correct damage that’s already been done, and prevent further damage to your skin.
Better skincare can improve your physical health (i.e. cancer prevention) and mental health. Who doesn’t feel better with glowing, beautiful, healthy skin? We could all use a little boost. We would love to help you learn about what skincare is best for you. Call us for a consultation for your own customized plan! Consultation is free, and we’ll ship your skincare products to your home!
We really look forward to seeing you. What better time than now?
My Kybella Experience: Lauren
Read on to hear about Lauren’s Kybella Experience:
Why did I choose Kybella? I’ve been aware of my double chin for as long as I can remember. As I got older, it felt like no matter how much I worked to get myself into shape, my chin always looked so full. I thought a lot about the roundness of my face and chin, and I dreamed of having a more defined silhouette. So, I decided to do something about it!
I’d heard a lot about Kybella and it sounded like the best option for me. Allie did all of my treatments throughout my journey and she was so thorough and wonderful, and I was always amazed how quickly the treatment was finished. The swelling was a little more than I expected the first few treatments, but it only gave me minimal discomfort and I just planned my schedule to accommodate when the swelling was most noticeable. I made sure to not have any important social events the first few days after my treatment, but otherwise, I still went about my normal routine. The injected area definitely got less swollen with each treatment, AND I noticed the swelling went away faster too. I even met a friend for coffee two days after my third injection and she said it was hardly noticeable!
I used to always fret that my double chin would ruin all my photos, but not anymore. Seeing photos from before I began my Kybella treatments are so different from how I look today, and I love it! Friends and family have told me they can see a huge difference, too. My double chin runs in my family, and I’ve definitely been singing Kybella’s praises to my fellow double-chin-inflicted family members.
What makes Kybella so amazing is how noninvasive it is, yet is has made a huge impact on how I look and feel. And when I consider the fact that Kybella gives me a lifetime result as the fat cells are permanently destroyed and can no longer accumulate or hold fat, it totally makes it worthwhile! I only wish I’d done it sooner!
Top 10 Winter Beauty Tips
The cold winter weather can strip your skin of its natural moisture. To help combat winter dryness, Sherman Aesthetic Center created this infographic with ten helpful winter beauty tips. Follow these tips so you can have glowing skin all season long! For more skincare or beauty tips, contact Dr. Sherman and her team.
- Wear sunscreen every day. The suns harmful rays are still present during winter; use a Superscreen with antioxidants found at the Sherman Aesthetic Center to improve your skin and keep it protected all winter long.
- Limit how much alcohol and caffeine you consume to prevent further dehydration.
- Eat a proper serving of fruits and vegetables everyday to ensure proper nutrition and skin health.
- Wear gloves to protect your hands from the harsh cold and potential drying and cracking.
- Drink plenty of water everyday to stay hydrated and reap the skincare benefits.
- Opt for lukewarm showers instead of hot baths, so you don’t strip your skin’s natural moisture.
- Use dry shampoo every other day instead of regular washing to retain your natural hair oils.
- Apply lotion immediately after showers to lock in as much moisture as possible.
- Use a creamy cleanser instead of a foaming cleanser for a gently approach to skincare.
- Try hydrating sheet masks on any nights that you are feeling a little more dry than usual.
3 Approaches to Stop Brown Spots in Their Tracks
3 Approaches to Stop Brown Spots in Their Tracks!
Welcome to December! There is a chill in the air, Christmas is on its way, and your time laying in the sun is (mostly) gone.
Once your tan has worn off and your beach vacation is far, far away, “they” arrive. Photodamage in the form of brown spots seem to appear after your tan fades away.
I am often asked what the best form of treatment is to kick the browns. At a national laser conference I attended, one of the top laser experts in the country made an excellent point: “We can flush the brown out of your spots, but we can’t take away your spots.” Your spots will always be lurking beneath the surface. Even after they are treated, it is vitally important that you continue to use sun protection. Next summer, with a little more time in the sunshine, your spots will darken again, and we’ll have to clean house in the fall. But if we can fade them to the point that they hide better with makeup, it’s a win!
Here are three different routes for lightening browns from sun damage:
Laser is an excellent way to lighten hyperpigmentation. It is important that you stay out of the sun while receiving laser treatments. Our GentleLase Alexandrite laser has been a gold standard in treating photodamage for years. You will likely need around 4-6 treatments of laser at a time. Again…come fall, after a fun summer outdoors, you’ll likely need to come back for a little clean-up!
There are several topical treatments that may be used year-round to lighten hyperpigmentation. Whether you use hydroquinone or non-hydroquinone products, topicals are a great way to keep your skin bright throughout the year.
3. Chemical Peels
A series of chemical peels will not only help lighten brown spots, it will improve your overall skin tone and texture and appearance of pore size. Chemical peels remove the top layer of dead skin cells. Your body will produce its own collagen, revealing brightened, new skin. We recommend a corrective series of 6 peels to put your skin through a customized skincare boot camp program designed to meet your individual needs. After this, you may continue to receive maintenance peels throughout the year.
Any combination of these treatments is even better if your goal is to “flush the brown out of your spots!”
And guess what the greatest preventative treatment is? SUNSCREEN! Always, always, always make sure your skin is protected with a good physical barrier SPF, even if you’re not planning on spending a lot of time outside. And remember…even though we feel like going into hibernation for the winter-the sun and its damaging rays do not! Sunscreen is just as important in winter to prevent brown spots from coming back! You’ll notice that the left side of your face typically looks more aged than the right. The reason? Sun exposure from driving in the car. So don’t skimp on the sunscreen.
Make your appointment with an Aesthetic Specialist today to get a customized skin assessment! We’ll help you develop a skincare plan that suits you best!
Sunscreen: What You Need to Know
Summer is fast approaching!
With plans for vacation in the sun, working/playing outside, and spending some much-needed time poolside, your skin can take a massive hit. It is so important to protect your skin from the damaging effects of the sun, not only to prevent signs of aging like wrinkles and sun spots, but also to prevent skin cancer. Studies show that those that properly use sunscreen on a daily basis, not only look younger with less wrinkles, but also have a lower incidence of locally destructive basal and squamous cell skin cancers. Sunscreen users also have less risk for the life threatening deadly malignant melanoma. So use sunscreen for vibrant skin, health, and wellness!
Here are some tips to keep your skin healthy and youthful:
- Find a sunscreen that will not be irritating to your skin. We recommend looking for titanium dioxide and zinc on the ingredient label. These “physical barriers” to the sun tend to be best for all skin types, including sensitive skin. Most aesthetic physicians that specialize in skin care would agree that if you can only use one skin care product, that sunscreen is by far your first and best choice.
- Find a sunscreen that you like. The likelihood that you will actually use it increases if you like the sunscreen that you’ve purchased. There are multiple options for sunscreen, some including sunscreen with a moisturizer or in powder form. See below for some of our favorites!
- Use SPF 30-SPF 50 broad-spectrum sunscreen. Broad-spectrum sunscreens protect you from both UVA (ultraviolet rays that cause wrinkling, sun spots, and premature aging) and UVB (rays that cause sunburn). Sunscreens that boast an SPF higher than SPF 50 don’t actually give significantly more protection from the sun, so it isn’t really necessary to use higher than SPF 50.
- Sunscreen of at least SPF 15 should be applied every day. If you are going to be outside, reapply sunscreen every 2 hours, more if you’re sweating or getting wet. This is a rule that should be followed regardless of the SPF. Many makeup formulations claim to have sunscreen in them, but an SPF lower than SPF 15 gives very minimal protection. Be sure to check the label!
- The way that you use your sunscreen is important! Use it often, and use it generously. A nice even coat of about a shot glass’s-worth of sunscreen is sufficient for most. And don’t forget to cover places like your hands, neck, ears, and the top of your head (if you’re balding or have exposed skin)! These are often forgotten but are just as susceptible to sun damage.
- Remember that no sunscreen can ever fully protect you from the sun’s harmful rays. If you are going to be out in the sun, wear a hat and protective clothing in addition to your sunscreen.
So enjoy your summer! Get outside and play…just make sure you are properly protecting your skin. It’s worth it to look and feel good!
Here are a few of our favorites that are available for purchase at Sherman Aesthetic Center:
- Revision Intellishade Broad-Spectrum (Original and Matte) SPF 45: This anti-aging moisturizer is a great “all-in-one” sunscreen. It not only protects from the sun with zinc and octinoxate, it reduces appearance of pore size, gives antioxidant benefits with Vitamin C, and helps reduce fine lines and wrinkles (White Birch extract, Co-Q 10, Plankton Extract, Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Extract)! All of this with a tint to enhance your skin’s natural tone.
- Revision Multi-Protection Broad-Spectrum SPF 50: All of the benefits of Intellishade with added Vitamin E and Pomegranate Extract for strong antioxidant benefit. This sunscreen boasts Avobenzone, Octinoxate, and Oxybenzone to protect your skin from the sun with no tint.
- Colorescience SPF 30 & SPF 50: Sunscreen in powder form! We love this option to sweep on throughout the day. It can be swept on over your makeup without interruption. This powder sunscreen is available in clear, fair, medium, and tan tints. Dr Sherman likes to keep one in her purse and one in her car so she can reapply any time without smearing or smudging any makeup. It’s great for use on your hands to protect them from unwanted sun exposure while driving as well!
- Skinceuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense SPF 50: All physical barrier sunscreen with sheer tint universal to all skin tones. Lightweight and water-resistant up to 40 minutes. Great to put on under makeup! We love that it is non-greasy and straightforward. Fantastic broad-spectrum sunscreen!
- Skinceuticals Physical UV Defense SPF 30: This 100% mineral physical barrier sunscreen is perfect for post-procedure, sensitive, or dry skin. It is sheer, lightweight, fragrance-free, and paraben-free. Zinc and titanium are the UVA/UVB defenders. Artemia salina, a plankton extract, protect against UV and heat stress. Great everyday moisturizer!
For more information and tips, visit:
Dermal Filler FAQs
Dermal Filler FAQs
1. What are dermal fillers?
Dermal fillers are used to restore lost volume to the face. The most popular fillers are made of hyaluronic acid, which is found naturally in the connective tissue of the body. Fillers can also soften lines, wrinkles, and give volume to “sunken” areas of the face. By treating these areas, a 30 minute filler session can provide a more youthful facial shape with a positive facial message.
2. How do dermal fillers work?
Hyaluronic acid fillers are “hydrophilic”, meaning they attract water from surrounding tissue. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring building block of the skin. By replacing the body’s own youthful substance, a filler treatment can reduce the appearance of folds, wrinkles, and replace facial volume, giving you a softer, more natural, youthful look.
3. What are the benefits of dermal fillers?
In the hands of a Master Injector, fillers definitely produce a softer, more refreshed appearance. They can also encourage the body to produce more collagen. This “new collagen” response is part of the body repairing itself in the injection area.
4. What are the risks of dermal filler injections?
The most common side effects of filler injections are swelling and bruising. This varies from person to person, depending on how your body responds. It is helpful to avoid any blood thinning medications 2 weeks prior to your treatment to prevent bruising. As always, consult with your physician before discontinuing any medications.
For best results, it’s very important that you see an experienced aesthetic injector with the highest level of training that understands the specific techniques that are crucial to minimize risks of complications, such as infections, and answer your questions related to your specific concerns.
5. What areas can be treated?
A Master Injector will analyze your facial structure and your concerns to develop the optimal results. When you look at a person’s face, they may look tired, stressed or timid without even speaking. At the Sherman Aesthetic Center, our highly trained aesthetic professionals will assess your personal needs to determine which facial area needs treatment to most benefit your facial message. Common treatment areas include cheeks, mouth corners, nasolabial folds, marionette lines, wasting temples, saggy jaw lines, and the pre-jowl sulcus area. At the Sherman Aesthetic Center, in order to put your best face forward, we always prioritize which facial area should be treated first for best results within the confines of your cosmetic budget.
6. How long does a dermal filler treatment last?
The duration of the filler depends upon which filler is used and how quickly each individual metabolizes the filler. Most last from 6 months to one year. Others may last up to two years.
7. Can I be allergic to dermal fillers?
Allergies to the newest generation of hyaluronic acid fillers are extremely rare, as hyaluronic acid is found naturally in the connective tissue of your body. For this reason, allergy testing is not needed.
8. Are dermal fillers safe for cosmetic use?
Yes. Dr. Sherman believes the fillers are safe and gets filler treatments on a regular basis.
9. Can dermal fillers be used with other treatments?
Yes. Our Master Injectors commonly give Botox and filler are given on the same day in our office, though these may certainly be separated. Any laser treatments, peels, facials, etc should be spaced two weeks apart from your filler appointment. Many choose to use filler after having cosmetic surgery as well, which further adds to the natural youthful look to keep people guessing your true age!
10. Are dermal fillers only for women?
The number of men treated with filler has certainly been on the rise. Men and women alike benefit from filler. Many professionals are choosing filler as a competitive edge treatment to dress for success because your face is your “calling card”.
11. Are there any restrictions in my activity after a filler treatment?
The best thing about dermal fillers is that the results are immediate, and you can continue your daily activities without interruption. Swelling may increase with increased activity, but you may resume your normal activity (including working out!). The most important thing to remember is to minimize how much you touch your face and to sleep on your back if you can. Try not to schedule your treatment close to any special events, as swelling and bruising can occur.
12. What is the best dermal filler for anti-aging?
It depends on what feature of your face shows your aging characteristics, the amount of gravitational pull on your face in a particular area, your skin quality and thickness, and what facial feature you want to emphasize with your treatment. For some it’s their eyes, and for others it’s the mouth or cheeks. Choice of filler becomes like paint in our palette to choose the art we wish to create. Our Master Injectors, which include a Board Certified Oculofacial Surgeon, a Board Certified Physician’s Assistant, and an Aesthetic RN can help you choose the filler that creates your best look.
13. Are dermal filler injections painful?
There is some discomfort associated with filler injections. To minimize this, a topical anesthetic may be used. In most cases, the filler itself contains a numbing medication, so once the filler is injected, any discomfort is minimal. Most patients would describe the filler experience as very tolerable and some will report some mild soreness right after the filler treatment.
14. What is the best dermal filler for cheeks?
The newest filler for cheeks is Voluma which provides a great amount of “bounce” and gives a smooth lift with a natural look to the cheek area. Studies show that Voluma can last up to 2 years, depending on how your body processes filler. Your Master Injector will analyze your face with a free facial analysis to decide if Voluma is right for you.
15. How often can I have dermal fillers injected?
A Master Injector will assess your individual needs and develop a filler treatment plan that is unique to you. This is individualized to the patient, considering many factors in your personalized treatment plan. The good news is that there are some excellent filler treatment options available that can create amazing results with a well trained Master Injector using the right product with the right techniques.
8 Foods YOU Should be Eating for Healthy Skin
The saying “You are what you eat!” is an old one, but true. In our fast-paced world, we often excuse making healthy eating choices because we are “too busy.” It’s easy to grab something quick and run out the door to satisfy hunger…no matter what it is. Our bodies run tired and unhealthy when we fill them with the wrong fuel. Eating fried, sugary, salty foods,etc not only takes its toll on the inside of our bodies, it hastens the aging process on the outside as well.
The secret to beautiful, glowing, healthy skin starts here: with your grocery list. Read up on some amazing super foods that will help get you back on track…naturally!
Most of these foods are easy to grab and munch on throughout the day, and their benefits extend beyond just your skin!
- Blueberries- Blueberries are PACKED with antioxidants! Antioxidants fight off free radicals (smoke, harmful UV rays, pollution, etc) at a cellular level that cause your skin to age and wrinkle. Toss a few in your bag to snack on, add them to your cereal, oatmeal, or yogurt, or buy frozen and add them to your smoothie.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids- (found in salmon, flax seed oil, tuna, etc) are essential to repairing skin cells from the inside out. They are emollients that moisturize skin and improve skin texture, preventing premature aging, and also have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Tomatoes- Lycopene, a very powerful antioxidant found in tomatoes, protects cells from damage…including UV damage that ages the skin. It is abundant in any form, but is actually easier for the body to use after tomatoes have been canned or processed (it changes form in the heating process)! Bonus: lycopene may prevent cancer and heart disease. Add fresh tomatoes to your salad, have a glass of tomato juice, or use stewed tomatoes for pasta or pizza sauce.
- Avocado- Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and monounsaturated fats, carotenoids…these work to improve skin density and texture, collagen and elastin production, and prevent lines, wrinkles, and sun damage. Add avocado to sandwiches, salads, or make a batch of guacamole.
- Carrots- Carrots are an excellent source of Vitamin A, important for skin, hair, and nail health. Eat them raw with a healthy dip, steamed, roasted, or in a soup
- Cucumber- Cucumber peel is rich in silica, a mineral not found in many foods. It is responsible for collagen and elastin that gives your skin a youthful bounce! Add cucumber to your salads or to your sandwich for a boost!
- Water- Hydration! Your skin needs to be hydrated, just like the rest of you. You’ll notice a difference in your skin when you’ve had little or no water to drink. Puffiness around the eyes in the morning and dullness of the skin are outward indicators that you’re not drinking enough water.
- Greek Yogurt- Greek yogurt has double the protein of regular yogurt. Protein is important for the growth of collagen. When collagen breaks down, wrinkles are formed. Protein helps keep collagen fortified and prevents wrinkles from forming. Greek yogurt is a great substitute for sour cream and is a wonderful breakfast, lunch, or snack option.
There’s more to healthy skin than what you put on it, so beautify your skin from the inside out with these power-packed foods. It’s all about getting back to basics and making better food choices for a healthier, more beautiful you!