Author Archives: Allie
Sunscreen: What You Need to Know
Summer is fast approaching!
With plans for vacation in the sun, working/playing outside, and spending some much-needed time poolside, your skin can take a massive hit. It is so important to protect your skin from the damaging effects of the sun, not only to prevent signs of aging like wrinkles and sun spots, but also to prevent skin cancer. Studies show that those that properly use sunscreen on a daily basis, not only look younger with less wrinkles, but also have a lower incidence of locally destructive basal and squamous cell skin cancers. Sunscreen users also have less risk for the life threatening deadly malignant melanoma. So use sunscreen for vibrant skin, health, and wellness!
Here are some tips to keep your skin healthy and youthful:
- Find a sunscreen that will not be irritating to your skin. We recommend looking for titanium dioxide and zinc on the ingredient label. These “physical barriers” to the sun tend to be best for all skin types, including sensitive skin. Most aesthetic physicians that specialize in skin care would agree that if you can only use one skin care product, that sunscreen is by far your first and best choice.
- Find a sunscreen that you like. The likelihood that you will actually use it increases if you like the sunscreen that you’ve purchased. There are multiple options for sunscreen, some including sunscreen with a moisturizer or in powder form. See below for some of our favorites!
- Use SPF 30-SPF 50 broad-spectrum sunscreen. Broad-spectrum sunscreens protect you from both UVA (ultraviolet rays that cause wrinkling, sun spots, and premature aging) and UVB (rays that cause sunburn). Sunscreens that boast an SPF higher than SPF 50 don’t actually give significantly more protection from the sun, so it isn’t really necessary to use higher than SPF 50.
- Sunscreen of at least SPF 15 should be applied every day. If you are going to be outside, reapply sunscreen every 2 hours, more if you’re sweating or getting wet. This is a rule that should be followed regardless of the SPF. Many makeup formulations claim to have sunscreen in them, but an SPF lower than SPF 15 gives very minimal protection. Be sure to check the label!
- The way that you use your sunscreen is important! Use it often, and use it generously. A nice even coat of about a shot glass’s-worth of sunscreen is sufficient for most. And don’t forget to cover places like your hands, neck, ears, and the top of your head (if you’re balding or have exposed skin)! These are often forgotten but are just as susceptible to sun damage.
- Remember that no sunscreen can ever fully protect you from the sun’s harmful rays. If you are going to be out in the sun, wear a hat and protective clothing in addition to your sunscreen.
So enjoy your summer! Get outside and play…just make sure you are properly protecting your skin. It’s worth it to look and feel good!
Here are a few of our favorites that are available for purchase at Sherman Aesthetic Center:
- Revision Intellishade Broad-Spectrum (Original and Matte) SPF 45: This anti-aging moisturizer is a great “all-in-one” sunscreen. It not only protects from the sun with zinc and octinoxate, it reduces appearance of pore size, gives antioxidant benefits with Vitamin C, and helps reduce fine lines and wrinkles (White Birch extract, Co-Q 10, Plankton Extract, Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Extract)! All of this with a tint to enhance your skin’s natural tone.
- Revision Multi-Protection Broad-Spectrum SPF 50: All of the benefits of Intellishade with added Vitamin E and Pomegranate Extract for strong antioxidant benefit. This sunscreen boasts Avobenzone, Octinoxate, and Oxybenzone to protect your skin from the sun with no tint.
- Colorescience SPF 30 & SPF 50: Sunscreen in powder form! We love this option to sweep on throughout the day. It can be swept on over your makeup without interruption. This powder sunscreen is available in clear, fair, medium, and tan tints. Dr Sherman likes to keep one in her purse and one in her car so she can reapply any time without smearing or smudging any makeup. It’s great for use on your hands to protect them from unwanted sun exposure while driving as well!
- Skinceuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense SPF 50: All physical barrier sunscreen with sheer tint universal to all skin tones. Lightweight and water-resistant up to 40 minutes. Great to put on under makeup! We love that it is non-greasy and straightforward. Fantastic broad-spectrum sunscreen!
- Skinceuticals Physical UV Defense SPF 30: This 100% mineral physical barrier sunscreen is perfect for post-procedure, sensitive, or dry skin. It is sheer, lightweight, fragrance-free, and paraben-free. Zinc and titanium are the UVA/UVB defenders. Artemia salina, a plankton extract, protect against UV and heat stress. Great everyday moisturizer!
For more information and tips, visit:
Restylane® Silk FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Restylane Silk?
Restylane Silk is the first filler FDA-approved specifically for the lips and the lines around them. Finally, there is an effective treatment designed just for the fine lines around the mouth.
- How is Restylane Silk actually used in treatment?
Restylane Silk is injected with a small needle in and around the lips, a treatment that takes less than 30 minutes.
- What makes Restylane Silk different from other dermal fillers?
Silk is a hyaluronic acid filler with a small particle size, making it the best treatment for softening of superficial lines and natural-looking lips.
4. What makes Restylane Silk different from Restylane or Perlane?
Restylane and Perlane have larger particle size, making them better options for other areas of the face (i.e. marionette lines, nasolabial folds, etc). Restylane Silk is ideal for the patient who wants lips that look natural and refreshed.
- How long does Restylane Silk last?
Restylane Silk may last up to one year
- Are the injections painful?
Because the lips are one of the most sensitive areas of the face, Restylane contains a numbing agent to make the treatment more comfortable. Additionally, a topical anesthetic is used to make the treatment more comfortable.
- Is allergy testing needed?
Allergy testing is not needed for Restylane Silk, a hyaluronic acid filler. Hyaluronic acid is found naturally in your skin, connective tissue, and joints. Allergic reactions are very unlikely.
- Can all skin types be treated?
Yes, all skin types may be treated with Restylane Silk.
- How long does the treatment take?
The treatment itself typically takes only 15-30 minutes.
- Does Restylane Silk require any special techniques or training?
Absolutely. Because you want your lips to look normal, natural, and fresh, Restylane Silk should only be injected by a Master Injector. Your Master Injector at Sherman Aesthetic Center will use their artistic eye and professional technique to give you the most natural-looking lip , with desired fullness and contour.
- Can you combine Restylane Silk with other facial anti-aging treatments?
Yes! Certainly you may have additional filler or Botox on the day of your Restylane Silk lip treatment. However, as with any filler treatment, all laser treatments, peels, or microdermabrasion should be spaced two weeks apart from your Restylane Silk treatment.
- When can I return to work and resume my social life?
There is no “down-time” for Restylane Silk. As swelling and bruising are likely, you should plan around special events. As the post-treatment response depends upon the individual, plan to have your lips treated during a time when swelling and bruising will be acceptable.
- What are the common side effects of Restylane Silk?
Temporary bruising and swelling are the most common side effects. But remember, your beautiful lips last 6-12 months!
- What can be done to prevent bruising?
Two weeks leading up to your appointment, please avoid any blood thinning medications, including but not limited to: aspirin, ibuprofen, Aleve, arthritis medication, fish oil, and multivitamins. Remember to never stop taking any of these medications if they are prescribed to you unless you have clearance from your medical doctor. Avoid alcohol 2-3 days prior to your treatment to decrease bruising.
- What if I don’t like the results – can Restylane Silk be removed?
Restylane Silk may be dissolved by injecting a medication called hyaluronidase.
- How often can I be injected?
After your initial treatment, it is best to return for a follow-up appointment in 1-2 weeks to assess for a touch-up. Restylane Silk lasts up to one year in the lips. Your Master Injector will give you a personalized treatment plan that suits your treatment goals, schedule, pocket book, and the look you want.
Welcome the latest and greatest filler: Restylane Silk.
Your Ideal Lips!
Everyone’s facial structure is different — and so is everyone’s ideal lip shape and size. Restylane® Silk is the first and only FDA-approved product specifically designed for subtle lip enhancement and the smoothing of wrinkles and lines around the mouth in patients 21 years of age and older. Restore your smile and achieve your ideal lips with Restylane Silk.
See what others are saying
In a clinical study of patients treated with Restylane Silk or no treatment, clinical investigators reported:
77% of patients treated with Restylane Silk showed at least a one-point improvement in lip fullness (measured on a 5-point scale) eight weeks after treatment.
59% of patients treated with Restylane Silk maintained lip fullness six months after treatment.
For more information and real patient results, visit www.restylanesilk.com
Dermal Filler FAQs
Dermal Filler FAQs
1. What are dermal fillers?
Dermal fillers are used to restore lost volume to the face. The most popular fillers are made of hyaluronic acid, which is found naturally in the connective tissue of the body. Fillers can also soften lines, wrinkles, and give volume to “sunken” areas of the face. By treating these areas, a 30 minute filler session can provide a more youthful facial shape with a positive facial message.
2. How do dermal fillers work?
Hyaluronic acid fillers are “hydrophilic”, meaning they attract water from surrounding tissue. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring building block of the skin. By replacing the body’s own youthful substance, a filler treatment can reduce the appearance of folds, wrinkles, and replace facial volume, giving you a softer, more natural, youthful look.
3. What are the benefits of dermal fillers?
In the hands of a Master Injector, fillers definitely produce a softer, more refreshed appearance. They can also encourage the body to produce more collagen. This “new collagen” response is part of the body repairing itself in the injection area.
4. What are the risks of dermal filler injections?
The most common side effects of filler injections are swelling and bruising. This varies from person to person, depending on how your body responds. It is helpful to avoid any blood thinning medications 2 weeks prior to your treatment to prevent bruising. As always, consult with your physician before discontinuing any medications.
For best results, it’s very important that you see an experienced aesthetic injector with the highest level of training that understands the specific techniques that are crucial to minimize risks of complications, such as infections, and answer your questions related to your specific concerns.
5. What areas can be treated?
A Master Injector will analyze your facial structure and your concerns to develop the optimal results. When you look at a person’s face, they may look tired, stressed or timid without even speaking. At the Sherman Aesthetic Center, our highly trained aesthetic professionals will assess your personal needs to determine which facial area needs treatment to most benefit your facial message. Common treatment areas include cheeks, mouth corners, nasolabial folds, marionette lines, wasting temples, saggy jaw lines, and the pre-jowl sulcus area. At the Sherman Aesthetic Center, in order to put your best face forward, we always prioritize which facial area should be treated first for best results within the confines of your cosmetic budget.
6. How long does a dermal filler treatment last?
The duration of the filler depends upon which filler is used and how quickly each individual metabolizes the filler. Most last from 6 months to one year. Others may last up to two years.
7. Can I be allergic to dermal fillers?
Allergies to the newest generation of hyaluronic acid fillers are extremely rare, as hyaluronic acid is found naturally in the connective tissue of your body. For this reason, allergy testing is not needed.
8. Are dermal fillers safe for cosmetic use?
Yes. Dr. Sherman believes the fillers are safe and gets filler treatments on a regular basis.
9. Can dermal fillers be used with other treatments?
Yes. Our Master Injectors commonly give Botox and filler are given on the same day in our office, though these may certainly be separated. Any laser treatments, peels, facials, etc should be spaced two weeks apart from your filler appointment. Many choose to use filler after having cosmetic surgery as well, which further adds to the natural youthful look to keep people guessing your true age!
10. Are dermal fillers only for women?
The number of men treated with filler has certainly been on the rise. Men and women alike benefit from filler. Many professionals are choosing filler as a competitive edge treatment to dress for success because your face is your “calling card”.
11. Are there any restrictions in my activity after a filler treatment?
The best thing about dermal fillers is that the results are immediate, and you can continue your daily activities without interruption. Swelling may increase with increased activity, but you may resume your normal activity (including working out!). The most important thing to remember is to minimize how much you touch your face and to sleep on your back if you can. Try not to schedule your treatment close to any special events, as swelling and bruising can occur.
12. What is the best dermal filler for anti-aging?
It depends on what feature of your face shows your aging characteristics, the amount of gravitational pull on your face in a particular area, your skin quality and thickness, and what facial feature you want to emphasize with your treatment. For some it’s their eyes, and for others it’s the mouth or cheeks. Choice of filler becomes like paint in our palette to choose the art we wish to create. Our Master Injectors, which include a Board Certified Oculofacial Surgeon, a Board Certified Physician’s Assistant, and an Aesthetic RN can help you choose the filler that creates your best look.
13. Are dermal filler injections painful?
There is some discomfort associated with filler injections. To minimize this, a topical anesthetic may be used. In most cases, the filler itself contains a numbing medication, so once the filler is injected, any discomfort is minimal. Most patients would describe the filler experience as very tolerable and some will report some mild soreness right after the filler treatment.
14. What is the best dermal filler for cheeks?
The newest filler for cheeks is Voluma which provides a great amount of “bounce” and gives a smooth lift with a natural look to the cheek area. Studies show that Voluma can last up to 2 years, depending on how your body processes filler. Your Master Injector will analyze your face with a free facial analysis to decide if Voluma is right for you.
15. How often can I have dermal fillers injected?
A Master Injector will assess your individual needs and develop a filler treatment plan that is unique to you. This is individualized to the patient, considering many factors in your personalized treatment plan. The good news is that there are some excellent filler treatment options available that can create amazing results with a well trained Master Injector using the right product with the right techniques.
8 Foods YOU Should be Eating for Healthy Skin
The saying “You are what you eat!” is an old one, but true. In our fast-paced world, we often excuse making healthy eating choices because we are “too busy.” It’s easy to grab something quick and run out the door to satisfy hunger…no matter what it is. Our bodies run tired and unhealthy when we fill them with the wrong fuel. Eating fried, sugary, salty foods,etc not only takes its toll on the inside of our bodies, it hastens the aging process on the outside as well.
The secret to beautiful, glowing, healthy skin starts here: with your grocery list. Read up on some amazing super foods that will help get you back on track…naturally!
Most of these foods are easy to grab and munch on throughout the day, and their benefits extend beyond just your skin!
- Blueberries- Blueberries are PACKED with antioxidants! Antioxidants fight off free radicals (smoke, harmful UV rays, pollution, etc) at a cellular level that cause your skin to age and wrinkle. Toss a few in your bag to snack on, add them to your cereal, oatmeal, or yogurt, or buy frozen and add them to your smoothie.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids- (found in salmon, flax seed oil, tuna, etc) are essential to repairing skin cells from the inside out. They are emollients that moisturize skin and improve skin texture, preventing premature aging, and also have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Tomatoes- Lycopene, a very powerful antioxidant found in tomatoes, protects cells from damage…including UV damage that ages the skin. It is abundant in any form, but is actually easier for the body to use after tomatoes have been canned or processed (it changes form in the heating process)! Bonus: lycopene may prevent cancer and heart disease. Add fresh tomatoes to your salad, have a glass of tomato juice, or use stewed tomatoes for pasta or pizza sauce.
- Avocado- Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and monounsaturated fats, carotenoids…these work to improve skin density and texture, collagen and elastin production, and prevent lines, wrinkles, and sun damage. Add avocado to sandwiches, salads, or make a batch of guacamole.
- Carrots- Carrots are an excellent source of Vitamin A, important for skin, hair, and nail health. Eat them raw with a healthy dip, steamed, roasted, or in a soup
- Cucumber- Cucumber peel is rich in silica, a mineral not found in many foods. It is responsible for collagen and elastin that gives your skin a youthful bounce! Add cucumber to your salads or to your sandwich for a boost!
- Water- Hydration! Your skin needs to be hydrated, just like the rest of you. You’ll notice a difference in your skin when you’ve had little or no water to drink. Puffiness around the eyes in the morning and dullness of the skin are outward indicators that you’re not drinking enough water.
- Greek Yogurt- Greek yogurt has double the protein of regular yogurt. Protein is important for the growth of collagen. When collagen breaks down, wrinkles are formed. Protein helps keep collagen fortified and prevents wrinkles from forming. Greek yogurt is a great substitute for sour cream and is a wonderful breakfast, lunch, or snack option.
There’s more to healthy skin than what you put on it, so beautify your skin from the inside out with these power-packed foods. It’s all about getting back to basics and making better food choices for a healthier, more beautiful you!