Category Archives: General
How to Enhance Your Profile for the Best Version of Yourself
Dr. Sherman understands that patients are concerned about the way they look in photos and can be self-conscious of their profiles. Recently, Dr. Sherman sat down with eHealth Radio to discuss how her work enhances her patients’ profiles so that they can see the best version of themselves.
Tune into this interview with Eric Michaels & Dr. Deborah Sherman and learn the answers to these questions:
- Dr. Sherman, tell us why women and men are so concerned about their profile these days?
- What are characteristics of your profile that are preferable and what characteristics are less than desirable?
- Is surgery the only answer for enhancing your profile? How about nonsurgical treatment options? Most people do not want to have any downtime or miss work?
- Could you review the Nonsurgical options for the lower 1/3 of the face that make up the “Social angle” as you call it that we all see in photos and when interacting socially?
- How does a person that wants to look better in photos or doesn’t like their profile learn what they need to get a youthful profile?
Bridal Party Treatments with Zero Downtime!
Looking for quick treatments that will have your skin glowing on your wedding day? Sherman Aesthetic Center created this infographic that includes five bridal party treatments with no downtime! For flawless skin on your wedding day, Botox can be used to soften areas of the face such as forehead lines, crows feet, a perpetual frown and more. Our lip fillers such as Volbella, Restylane Silk, and Juvederm will give your lips the perfect shape and allow your lipstick to look flawless on your special day! Latisse and permanent makeup will allow you to wake up the day of the wedding with your makeup already looking great. Lastly, tighten, lighten, and remove unwanted hair with a laser and light therapy such as laser photo rejuvenation (IPL) or laser hair removal!
Contact Sherman Aesthetic Center to schedule your bridal party pampering day!
Frequently Asked Questions: Lip Augmentation & Enhancement
1. What is the best filler for Lip enhancement?
With a growing number of fillers available, it is even more important to go to a Master Injector who has advanced knowledge to determine which filler will create the most NATURAL looking lips. If you have a more petite lip, or you have very fine lines above the lip your lipstick bleeds into, Restylane Silk or Juvederm Volbella may be the best choice. If you have more youthful lips that need a proportional adjustment with a little extra volume in the upper or lower lip or the mouth corners upturned, Juvederm Ultra may erase your lipstick frustrations.
2. Is lip augmentation permanent?
Although the idea of a permanent lip treatment might initially sound great as it implies a long lasting result, but be aware that permanent treatments can cause permanent problems! Under a surgical procedure, implants can be placed permanently, but will your lip still age around the implant? YES! This means that the implant could show through thinning lip skin and look very strange with time, creating an unnatural appearance. If you use permanent filler, will that create a lip that never ages and does not have to be injected again? No. There is no magic wand that stops time! And permanent filler may create major problems as you age. As the border of the lip ages, permanent filler in the lip starts to look unnatural. The sad truth is that there is really no effective treatment to remove permanent lip filler except to cut it out and no one wants that! Beware of permanent fillers with no treatment option of reversibility!
3. What is the best permanent Lip augmentation option?
In our expert opinion, permanent lip filler is not the best option to give you the most natural lips-lips that age gracefully as you do.
4. What lip filler lasts the longest?
The fillers we recommend that have been FDA approved for lip injections such as Juvederm and Restylane Silk have up to a 1 year indication.
5. How can I get natural looking lips with lip enhancement?
When you come in for a facial analysis at the Sherman Aesthetic Center, a Master Injector will evaluate your lips. Dr. Sherman and her expertly trained Master Injectors will perform an 8 point natural lip analysis to develop a customized natural look for your kissable lips!
6. How can I avoid “over-done” lips?
Stop looking to Kylie Jenner for your example, and start looking at fresh younger, hydrated lips-what do you notice? Do you see that the lines are not as “shriveled” or dehydrated in the body of the lip? That the proportion of the upper and lower lip is balanced? That the corners of the mouth are gently upturned, and that the upper lip has a defined 3-D border and the lower lip has proportional projection? That natural symmetry is what a Master Injector is trained to create. This creates less work outlining your lip, and more time to try out different colors! Our patients often comment that after the youthful lip boost our Master Injectors create, that for the first time in years, their lips look fresh and youthful with just a touch of clear lip gloss! It reminds them of the lips they had in high school!
7. Can I be allergic to lip fillers?
Allergies to hyaluronic acid fillers are very rare. Hyaluronic acid is a basic building block of skin. It’s found in our joints and connective tissue naturally, so it is very rare for someone to have a reaction to the filler itself. Numbing agents can be applied topically and are in the filler itself. Rarely, individuals may have an allergic reaction to these numbing agents.
8. Who should I trust with my lip augmentation?
Only trust an experienced Master Injector when having your lips injected. A Master Injector, like those at Sherman Aesthetic Center, will give you the most natural enhanced lip with filler, with appropriate proportion and volume. The Master Injector’s at Sherman Aesthetic Center offer a subtle “Youthful Lip Boost,” which is an inexpensive way to soften lip lines and create a more youthful lip.
9. What are the risks and side effects of lip augmentation?
Swelling and bruising are the most common side effects of lip augmentation.
10. What are the aftercare instructions for lip fillers?
You may gently ice your lips after injections.
11. When can I eat after lip augmentation?
You can eat whatever you want, but salty foods and alcohol will may your lips swell even more in the first few days after injection. Sipping through a straw and smoking are not recommended for a few days after your lip injections.
Sunscreen: What You Need to Know
Summer is fast approaching!
With plans for vacation in the sun, working/playing outside, and spending some much-needed time poolside, your skin can take a massive hit. It is so important to protect your skin from the damaging effects of the sun, not only to prevent signs of aging like wrinkles and sun spots, but also to prevent skin cancer. Studies show that those that properly use sunscreen on a daily basis, not only look younger with less wrinkles, but also have a lower incidence of locally destructive basal and squamous cell skin cancers. Sunscreen users also have less risk for the life threatening deadly malignant melanoma. So use sunscreen for vibrant skin, health, and wellness!
Here are some tips to keep your skin healthy and youthful:
- Find a sunscreen that will not be irritating to your skin. We recommend looking for titanium dioxide and zinc on the ingredient label. These “physical barriers” to the sun tend to be best for all skin types, including sensitive skin. Most aesthetic physicians that specialize in skin care would agree that if you can only use one skin care product, that sunscreen is by far your first and best choice.
- Find a sunscreen that you like. The likelihood that you will actually use it increases if you like the sunscreen that you’ve purchased. There are multiple options for sunscreen, some including sunscreen with a moisturizer or in powder form. See below for some of our favorites!
- Use SPF 30-SPF 50 broad-spectrum sunscreen. Broad-spectrum sunscreens protect you from both UVA (ultraviolet rays that cause wrinkling, sun spots, and premature aging) and UVB (rays that cause sunburn). Sunscreens that boast an SPF higher than SPF 50 don’t actually give significantly more protection from the sun, so it isn’t really necessary to use higher than SPF 50.
- Sunscreen of at least SPF 15 should be applied every day. If you are going to be outside, reapply sunscreen every 2 hours, more if you’re sweating or getting wet. This is a rule that should be followed regardless of the SPF. Many makeup formulations claim to have sunscreen in them, but an SPF lower than SPF 15 gives very minimal protection. Be sure to check the label!
- The way that you use your sunscreen is important! Use it often, and use it generously. A nice even coat of about a shot glass’s-worth of sunscreen is sufficient for most. And don’t forget to cover places like your hands, neck, ears, and the top of your head (if you’re balding or have exposed skin)! These are often forgotten but are just as susceptible to sun damage.
- Remember that no sunscreen can ever fully protect you from the sun’s harmful rays. If you are going to be out in the sun, wear a hat and protective clothing in addition to your sunscreen.
So enjoy your summer! Get outside and play…just make sure you are properly protecting your skin. It’s worth it to look and feel good!
Here are a few of our favorites that are available for purchase at Sherman Aesthetic Center:
- Revision Intellishade Broad-Spectrum (Original and Matte) SPF 45: This anti-aging moisturizer is a great “all-in-one” sunscreen. It not only protects from the sun with zinc and octinoxate, it reduces appearance of pore size, gives antioxidant benefits with Vitamin C, and helps reduce fine lines and wrinkles (White Birch extract, Co-Q 10, Plankton Extract, Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Extract)! All of this with a tint to enhance your skin’s natural tone.
- Revision Multi-Protection Broad-Spectrum SPF 50: All of the benefits of Intellishade with added Vitamin E and Pomegranate Extract for strong antioxidant benefit. This sunscreen boasts Avobenzone, Octinoxate, and Oxybenzone to protect your skin from the sun with no tint.
- Colorescience SPF 30 & SPF 50: Sunscreen in powder form! We love this option to sweep on throughout the day. It can be swept on over your makeup without interruption. This powder sunscreen is available in clear, fair, medium, and tan tints. Dr Sherman likes to keep one in her purse and one in her car so she can reapply any time without smearing or smudging any makeup. It’s great for use on your hands to protect them from unwanted sun exposure while driving as well!
- Skinceuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense SPF 50: All physical barrier sunscreen with sheer tint universal to all skin tones. Lightweight and water-resistant up to 40 minutes. Great to put on under makeup! We love that it is non-greasy and straightforward. Fantastic broad-spectrum sunscreen!
- Skinceuticals Physical UV Defense SPF 30: This 100% mineral physical barrier sunscreen is perfect for post-procedure, sensitive, or dry skin. It is sheer, lightweight, fragrance-free, and paraben-free. Zinc and titanium are the UVA/UVB defenders. Artemia salina, a plankton extract, protect against UV and heat stress. Great everyday moisturizer!
For more information and tips, visit:
8 Foods YOU Should be Eating for Healthy Skin
The saying “You are what you eat!” is an old one, but true. In our fast-paced world, we often excuse making healthy eating choices because we are “too busy.” It’s easy to grab something quick and run out the door to satisfy hunger…no matter what it is. Our bodies run tired and unhealthy when we fill them with the wrong fuel. Eating fried, sugary, salty foods,etc not only takes its toll on the inside of our bodies, it hastens the aging process on the outside as well.
The secret to beautiful, glowing, healthy skin starts here: with your grocery list. Read up on some amazing super foods that will help get you back on track…naturally!
Most of these foods are easy to grab and munch on throughout the day, and their benefits extend beyond just your skin!
- Blueberries- Blueberries are PACKED with antioxidants! Antioxidants fight off free radicals (smoke, harmful UV rays, pollution, etc) at a cellular level that cause your skin to age and wrinkle. Toss a few in your bag to snack on, add them to your cereal, oatmeal, or yogurt, or buy frozen and add them to your smoothie.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids- (found in salmon, flax seed oil, tuna, etc) are essential to repairing skin cells from the inside out. They are emollients that moisturize skin and improve skin texture, preventing premature aging, and also have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Tomatoes- Lycopene, a very powerful antioxidant found in tomatoes, protects cells from damage…including UV damage that ages the skin. It is abundant in any form, but is actually easier for the body to use after tomatoes have been canned or processed (it changes form in the heating process)! Bonus: lycopene may prevent cancer and heart disease. Add fresh tomatoes to your salad, have a glass of tomato juice, or use stewed tomatoes for pasta or pizza sauce.
- Avocado- Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and monounsaturated fats, carotenoids…these work to improve skin density and texture, collagen and elastin production, and prevent lines, wrinkles, and sun damage. Add avocado to sandwiches, salads, or make a batch of guacamole.
- Carrots- Carrots are an excellent source of Vitamin A, important for skin, hair, and nail health. Eat them raw with a healthy dip, steamed, roasted, or in a soup
- Cucumber- Cucumber peel is rich in silica, a mineral not found in many foods. It is responsible for collagen and elastin that gives your skin a youthful bounce! Add cucumber to your salads or to your sandwich for a boost!
- Water- Hydration! Your skin needs to be hydrated, just like the rest of you. You’ll notice a difference in your skin when you’ve had little or no water to drink. Puffiness around the eyes in the morning and dullness of the skin are outward indicators that you’re not drinking enough water.
- Greek Yogurt- Greek yogurt has double the protein of regular yogurt. Protein is important for the growth of collagen. When collagen breaks down, wrinkles are formed. Protein helps keep collagen fortified and prevents wrinkles from forming. Greek yogurt is a great substitute for sour cream and is a wonderful breakfast, lunch, or snack option.
There’s more to healthy skin than what you put on it, so beautify your skin from the inside out with these power-packed foods. It’s all about getting back to basics and making better food choices for a healthier, more beautiful you!