Category Archives: Filler
How to Get Injectables Without Looking Overdone
Are you interested in trying Botox and fillers but worried they might make you look weird or overdone? You’re not alone. It’s a valid concern. Chances are, you’ve seen someone who’s gone too far with their face…and that image always comes to mind when you consider diving into the world of injectables, keeping you from taking the plunge once again. Is it even possible to get a subtle, natural-looking result? If so, how?
First, it’s important to understand that what you’re seeing isn’t always the result of injectables alone. Often, there has been plastic surgery or other procedures involved as well.
The answer to our question about achieving natural results is YES. You can have a beautiful, natural result with injectables that does NOT make you look strange or like a different person. Here’s what you need to know:
- The person you choose to inject you is the most important decision you’ll make. You should seek a Master Injector who understands the anatomy of the face, who injects safely and conservatively. They should be experienced and well-trained.
- Communicate with your injector. Tell your injector what you’re hoping to achieve, your concerns, your budget, etc. We offer a free facial analysis with our injectors prior to your treatment. This is a great time to discuss your concerns and how they can be addressed.
- Build a relationship. This is actually a really important part of the process. Getting to know your injector and letting them get to know you on a personal level-your lifestyle, your activities, things that are important to you will help them to understand your wants and needs. It also builds trust and opens up more honest communication to help you both achieve your goals.
- Be accepting when the answer is “no”. A good injector doesn’t always say yes to every injection request. There are areas that are “no-fly zones” that are dangerous to inject, and sometimes more filler or Botox isn’t the answer. A great Master Injector should have your best interests at heart, and sometimes that means saying no.
- Understand that filler is a process. Amazing results are not achieved in one session. Depending on your age, volume loss, and skin quality, it may take several visits to achieve your desired results. We will communicate this with you as we develop your customized plan.
We would love to see you at the Sherman Aesthetic Center to help you achieve a natural, refreshed look. Our Master Injectors are knowledgeable, experienced, highly trained, and caring. Call us for a free facial analysis at 615-297-5798!
Dr. Deborah Sherman On eHealth Radio: How Lips Can Go From Lacking to Luscious
As an expert in aesthetics, Dr. Deborah Sherman shares her knowledge on how the role of lips can enhance our appearance, creating a more youthful and attractive look.
Listen to the complete interview with Dr. Sherman and Eric Michaels from eHealth Radio below.
- Dr. Sherman tell us why women care about their lips and the role lips play in making our faces attractive?
- Describe the normal aging changes of the face. In particular, the changes to the lips that we all should look for.
- What is the best treatment for a less than perfect lip? Botox or filler?
- Many women fear the duck lip, how can you get natural results?
- How does one know which lip filler is right for them?
Facial Fillers: Fight the Signs of Aging
Age, sun exposure, stress and general muscle movements are all factors that contribute to the increased aging of the face. Luckily, facial fillers are here to help! Facial fillers are treatments administered through a few tiny injections on specific areas of the face; there are various types that each treat a difference concern – such as wrinkle reduction, lip augmentation or the smoothing of crows feet/frown lines. Dr. Sherman put together this helpful video to give a little more insight into the types of fillers offered and how they can treat whatever concerns you may have! To learn more about fillers or schedule a consultation to discuss your options, contact us here!
5 Tricks to Avoid Bruising after an Injectable Treatment
“Everyone will notice, but no one will know!”
5 Tricks to Avoid Bruising after an Injectable Treatment
- Avoid blood thinning medication. Many patients do not realize these common over the counter medications increase your chance of bruising: Aspirin, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Aleve, Advil, and NSAID-containing products (Midol, Excedrin, cold medicine). These should be stopped 2 weeks prior to your treatment, and 2 days after. “But what if I get a headache?” Tylenol is absolutely fine to take as a pain reliever. **If you take these medications for a medical condition, do not stop as controlling the medical condition is likely more important than controlling a bruise!
- Plan a girl’s night out…2 days before your injectable treatment, and a day after. Alcohol has anti-platelet effects, making it easier to bruise; therefore, avoiding alcohol prior to injectable treatments will decrease your risk of bruising.
- Stop vitamins A, E, K…and any herb starting with a G. Ginko Bilboa, Ginsing, and Glucosamine all have blood thinning properties, and therefore-you guessed it- can cause bruising. Also, avoid fish oil, omega 3 fatty acids, and high doses of Green Tea.
- Pick up some fresh pineapple from the grocery store. Fresh pineapple contains bromelein-an enzyme excellent for bruising and inflammation. If the actual fruit has too much sugar or acid for your system, you can find tablets of Bromelein to take instead of pineapple. Eat ½ cup pineapple or take the supplements at least 1 week prior to injection.
- Timing…if you have a big event coming up, plan your treatment at least 2 weeks prior. This allows time for swelling and any bruising to subside. You can also find inexpensive “green tone” concealer to place on any bruise to cancel out the red/purple tone, followed by your “brown flesh tone” base, and remember, to place on any bruise, and lipstick is a beautiful concealer for any bruise on the lip!
Juvederm Volbella XC Infographic
Sherman Aesthetic Center created this infographic on the newest FDA-approved facial filler, Juvéderm Volbella XC, to help their patients understand what it does, how it works, and how it’s different from other fillers. Juvéderm Volbella can help individuals receive the perfect pout while also smoothing lines around the mouth.
- youthful lip contour with a subtle smoothing
- made by Allergan, the makers of Botox
- FDA-approved and clinically proven to last up to 1 year
- used to soften the appearance of lines around the mouth
The difference is:
- less swelling than other fillers
- more of a glossy, subtle plumping effect rather than enlargement
- ideal for “smokers lines”
- effective on fine lines and wrinkles all over the face
The results of Juvéderm Volbella are proven to last up to one year. Also, Juvéderm Volbella has a 70% Worth It Rating on Realself.com.
For more information on Juvéderm Volbella XC or to schedule your consultation, please contact Sherman Aesthetic Center today!
As we age, it often feels as if our faces “melt”. We often hear “It looks like someone held a candle near my face, and it just started melting!” or “Gravity, baby. It’s all falling down.”
Sounds about right, but gravity actually isn’t the cause of facial aging. As the years pass, the structure of the face begins to shift and change. There is fat loss and repositioning, bone density loss, and slower production of collagen. Muscle contraction from smiling, eating, yawning, frowning causes lines to begin to form around eyes, cheeks, and mouth. UV damage from time in the sun causes age spots, loss of elasticity, and wrinkling.
We expect some of the brown sun spots, the tired eyes, the smile lines…but one thing that sneaks up on us is the change seen in the lips. Lips will seem to “shrink”, vertical lines above and below the lips appear, and lipstick begins to bleed. The “cupid’s bow”, the little v-shape in the middle of the upper lip, flattens. The plump, perky lips that gave kisses and smiles are becoming flat and thin, and are giving us away…suddenly our face seems to look much older.
What to do?
Can anything be done to prevent all of this?
Certainly a lip balm with sunscreen is helpful to protect the lips from aging from harmful UV rays. Drinking out of a straw can be curbed, and obviously, smoking is detrimental to lips (among other things).
Still, with all of these things under control, lips lose their stuffing and elasticity.
So fill ‘em up! The good news is, there are multiple hyaluronic acid fillers that may be used to improve lip definition, proportion, and volume. “Proportion” is an important word. A 60-year-old won’t have a 20 year-old’s lips. And they shouldn’t. It looks unnatural and disproportionate to the rest of their face. Too much filler in the wrong places gives an unnatural appearance and “trout pout”…you know what I mean. This happens when too much filler is put in the wrong place. Filler is should only be given by a Master Injector who will skillfully and artistically places the filler in the correct places with the correct amount. Lips should compliment the rest of the face…they should never “walk into the room” before you do. A well-done lip is subtle and appropriate for your face. Not to mention it sheds a few years off of your stated age J
The Right Tools for the Right Project
The wonderful thing (and the sad thing) about hyaluronic acid (H.A.) fillers is that your body produces H.A. naturally. The filler will gradually dissolve over time, and your lips will appear as they did before you ever got the filler. More permanent fillers are dangerous and tend to shift over time, sometimes causing more trouble than they’re worth.
The Next Best Thing!
More good news: Volbella has been FDA-approved in the United States! It is an H.A. filler specifically designed for the lips that we are SO excited about! More to come on Volbella. You’ll be the first to know when it officially arrives in our office!
Frequently Asked Questions: Lip Augmentation & Enhancement
1. What is the best filler for Lip enhancement?
With a growing number of fillers available, it is even more important to go to a Master Injector who has advanced knowledge to determine which filler will create the most NATURAL looking lips. If you have a more petite lip, or you have very fine lines above the lip your lipstick bleeds into, Restylane Silk or Juvederm Volbella may be the best choice. If you have more youthful lips that need a proportional adjustment with a little extra volume in the upper or lower lip or the mouth corners upturned, Juvederm Ultra may erase your lipstick frustrations.
2. Is lip augmentation permanent?
Although the idea of a permanent lip treatment might initially sound great as it implies a long lasting result, but be aware that permanent treatments can cause permanent problems! Under a surgical procedure, implants can be placed permanently, but will your lip still age around the implant? YES! This means that the implant could show through thinning lip skin and look very strange with time, creating an unnatural appearance. If you use permanent filler, will that create a lip that never ages and does not have to be injected again? No. There is no magic wand that stops time! And permanent filler may create major problems as you age. As the border of the lip ages, permanent filler in the lip starts to look unnatural. The sad truth is that there is really no effective treatment to remove permanent lip filler except to cut it out and no one wants that! Beware of permanent fillers with no treatment option of reversibility!
3. What is the best permanent Lip augmentation option?
In our expert opinion, permanent lip filler is not the best option to give you the most natural lips-lips that age gracefully as you do.
4. What lip filler lasts the longest?
The fillers we recommend that have been FDA approved for lip injections such as Juvederm and Restylane Silk have up to a 1 year indication.
5. How can I get natural looking lips with lip enhancement?
When you come in for a facial analysis at the Sherman Aesthetic Center, a Master Injector will evaluate your lips. Dr. Sherman and her expertly trained Master Injectors will perform an 8 point natural lip analysis to develop a customized natural look for your kissable lips!
6. How can I avoid “over-done” lips?
Stop looking to Kylie Jenner for your example, and start looking at fresh younger, hydrated lips-what do you notice? Do you see that the lines are not as “shriveled” or dehydrated in the body of the lip? That the proportion of the upper and lower lip is balanced? That the corners of the mouth are gently upturned, and that the upper lip has a defined 3-D border and the lower lip has proportional projection? That natural symmetry is what a Master Injector is trained to create. This creates less work outlining your lip, and more time to try out different colors! Our patients often comment that after the youthful lip boost our Master Injectors create, that for the first time in years, their lips look fresh and youthful with just a touch of clear lip gloss! It reminds them of the lips they had in high school!
7. Can I be allergic to lip fillers?
Allergies to hyaluronic acid fillers are very rare. Hyaluronic acid is a basic building block of skin. It’s found in our joints and connective tissue naturally, so it is very rare for someone to have a reaction to the filler itself. Numbing agents can be applied topically and are in the filler itself. Rarely, individuals may have an allergic reaction to these numbing agents.
8. Who should I trust with my lip augmentation?
Only trust an experienced Master Injector when having your lips injected. A Master Injector, like those at Sherman Aesthetic Center, will give you the most natural enhanced lip with filler, with appropriate proportion and volume. The Master Injector’s at Sherman Aesthetic Center offer a subtle “Youthful Lip Boost,” which is an inexpensive way to soften lip lines and create a more youthful lip.
9. What are the risks and side effects of lip augmentation?
Swelling and bruising are the most common side effects of lip augmentation.
10. What are the aftercare instructions for lip fillers?
You may gently ice your lips after injections.
11. When can I eat after lip augmentation?
You can eat whatever you want, but salty foods and alcohol will may your lips swell even more in the first few days after injection. Sipping through a straw and smoking are not recommended for a few days after your lip injections.
Welcome the latest and greatest filler: Restylane Silk.
Your Ideal Lips!
Everyone’s facial structure is different — and so is everyone’s ideal lip shape and size. Restylane® Silk is the first and only FDA-approved product specifically designed for subtle lip enhancement and the smoothing of wrinkles and lines around the mouth in patients 21 years of age and older. Restore your smile and achieve your ideal lips with Restylane Silk.
See what others are saying
In a clinical study of patients treated with Restylane Silk or no treatment, clinical investigators reported:
77% of patients treated with Restylane Silk showed at least a one-point improvement in lip fullness (measured on a 5-point scale) eight weeks after treatment.
59% of patients treated with Restylane Silk maintained lip fullness six months after treatment.
For more information and real patient results, visit www.restylanesilk.com
Dermal Filler FAQs
Dermal Filler FAQs
1. What are dermal fillers?
Dermal fillers are used to restore lost volume to the face. The most popular fillers are made of hyaluronic acid, which is found naturally in the connective tissue of the body. Fillers can also soften lines, wrinkles, and give volume to “sunken” areas of the face. By treating these areas, a 30 minute filler session can provide a more youthful facial shape with a positive facial message.
2. How do dermal fillers work?
Hyaluronic acid fillers are “hydrophilic”, meaning they attract water from surrounding tissue. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring building block of the skin. By replacing the body’s own youthful substance, a filler treatment can reduce the appearance of folds, wrinkles, and replace facial volume, giving you a softer, more natural, youthful look.
3. What are the benefits of dermal fillers?
In the hands of a Master Injector, fillers definitely produce a softer, more refreshed appearance. They can also encourage the body to produce more collagen. This “new collagen” response is part of the body repairing itself in the injection area.
4. What are the risks of dermal filler injections?
The most common side effects of filler injections are swelling and bruising. This varies from person to person, depending on how your body responds. It is helpful to avoid any blood thinning medications 2 weeks prior to your treatment to prevent bruising. As always, consult with your physician before discontinuing any medications.
For best results, it’s very important that you see an experienced aesthetic injector with the highest level of training that understands the specific techniques that are crucial to minimize risks of complications, such as infections, and answer your questions related to your specific concerns.
5. What areas can be treated?
A Master Injector will analyze your facial structure and your concerns to develop the optimal results. When you look at a person’s face, they may look tired, stressed or timid without even speaking. At the Sherman Aesthetic Center, our highly trained aesthetic professionals will assess your personal needs to determine which facial area needs treatment to most benefit your facial message. Common treatment areas include cheeks, mouth corners, nasolabial folds, marionette lines, wasting temples, saggy jaw lines, and the pre-jowl sulcus area. At the Sherman Aesthetic Center, in order to put your best face forward, we always prioritize which facial area should be treated first for best results within the confines of your cosmetic budget.
6. How long does a dermal filler treatment last?
The duration of the filler depends upon which filler is used and how quickly each individual metabolizes the filler. Most last from 6 months to one year. Others may last up to two years.
7. Can I be allergic to dermal fillers?
Allergies to the newest generation of hyaluronic acid fillers are extremely rare, as hyaluronic acid is found naturally in the connective tissue of your body. For this reason, allergy testing is not needed.
8. Are dermal fillers safe for cosmetic use?
Yes. Dr. Sherman believes the fillers are safe and gets filler treatments on a regular basis.
9. Can dermal fillers be used with other treatments?
Yes. Our Master Injectors commonly give Botox and filler are given on the same day in our office, though these may certainly be separated. Any laser treatments, peels, facials, etc should be spaced two weeks apart from your filler appointment. Many choose to use filler after having cosmetic surgery as well, which further adds to the natural youthful look to keep people guessing your true age!
10. Are dermal fillers only for women?
The number of men treated with filler has certainly been on the rise. Men and women alike benefit from filler. Many professionals are choosing filler as a competitive edge treatment to dress for success because your face is your “calling card”.
11. Are there any restrictions in my activity after a filler treatment?
The best thing about dermal fillers is that the results are immediate, and you can continue your daily activities without interruption. Swelling may increase with increased activity, but you may resume your normal activity (including working out!). The most important thing to remember is to minimize how much you touch your face and to sleep on your back if you can. Try not to schedule your treatment close to any special events, as swelling and bruising can occur.
12. What is the best dermal filler for anti-aging?
It depends on what feature of your face shows your aging characteristics, the amount of gravitational pull on your face in a particular area, your skin quality and thickness, and what facial feature you want to emphasize with your treatment. For some it’s their eyes, and for others it’s the mouth or cheeks. Choice of filler becomes like paint in our palette to choose the art we wish to create. Our Master Injectors, which include a Board Certified Oculofacial Surgeon, a Board Certified Physician’s Assistant, and an Aesthetic RN can help you choose the filler that creates your best look.
13. Are dermal filler injections painful?
There is some discomfort associated with filler injections. To minimize this, a topical anesthetic may be used. In most cases, the filler itself contains a numbing medication, so once the filler is injected, any discomfort is minimal. Most patients would describe the filler experience as very tolerable and some will report some mild soreness right after the filler treatment.
14. What is the best dermal filler for cheeks?
The newest filler for cheeks is Voluma which provides a great amount of “bounce” and gives a smooth lift with a natural look to the cheek area. Studies show that Voluma can last up to 2 years, depending on how your body processes filler. Your Master Injector will analyze your face with a free facial analysis to decide if Voluma is right for you.
15. How often can I have dermal fillers injected?
A Master Injector will assess your individual needs and develop a filler treatment plan that is unique to you. This is individualized to the patient, considering many factors in your personalized treatment plan. The good news is that there are some excellent filler treatment options available that can create amazing results with a well trained Master Injector using the right product with the right techniques.