Category Archives: Anti-Aging
Hidden Incision Beautiful Results
An eye lift corrects the fat and skin around the eye, reducing the signs of aging and leaving you looking and feeling younger! See if a hidden incision eye lift is a good option for you, in our infographic below.
Schedule a consultation or call us at 615-297-5798 to learn more!
My Kybella Experience: Lauren
Read on to hear about Lauren’s Kybella Experience:
Why did I choose Kybella? I’ve been aware of my double chin for as long as I can remember. As I got older, it felt like no matter how much I worked to get myself into shape, my chin always looked so full. I thought a lot about the roundness of my face and chin, and I dreamed of having a more defined silhouette. So, I decided to do something about it!
I’d heard a lot about Kybella and it sounded like the best option for me. Allie did all of my treatments throughout my journey and she was so thorough and wonderful, and I was always amazed how quickly the treatment was finished. The swelling was a little more than I expected the first few treatments, but it only gave me minimal discomfort and I just planned my schedule to accommodate when the swelling was most noticeable. I made sure to not have any important social events the first few days after my treatment, but otherwise, I still went about my normal routine. The injected area definitely got less swollen with each treatment, AND I noticed the swelling went away faster too. I even met a friend for coffee two days after my third injection and she said it was hardly noticeable!
I used to always fret that my double chin would ruin all my photos, but not anymore. Seeing photos from before I began my Kybella treatments are so different from how I look today, and I love it! Friends and family have told me they can see a huge difference, too. My double chin runs in my family, and I’ve definitely been singing Kybella’s praises to my fellow double-chin-inflicted family members.
What makes Kybella so amazing is how noninvasive it is, yet is has made a huge impact on how I look and feel. And when I consider the fact that Kybella gives me a lifetime result as the fat cells are permanently destroyed and can no longer accumulate or hold fat, it totally makes it worthwhile! I only wish I’d done it sooner!
3 Approaches to Stop Brown Spots in Their Tracks
3 Approaches to Stop Brown Spots in Their Tracks!
Welcome to December! There is a chill in the air, Christmas is on its way, and your time laying in the sun is (mostly) gone.
Once your tan has worn off and your beach vacation is far, far away, “they” arrive. Photodamage in the form of brown spots seem to appear after your tan fades away.
I am often asked what the best form of treatment is to kick the browns. At a national laser conference I attended, one of the top laser experts in the country made an excellent point: “We can flush the brown out of your spots, but we can’t take away your spots.” Your spots will always be lurking beneath the surface. Even after they are treated, it is vitally important that you continue to use sun protection. Next summer, with a little more time in the sunshine, your spots will darken again, and we’ll have to clean house in the fall. But if we can fade them to the point that they hide better with makeup, it’s a win!
Here are three different routes for lightening browns from sun damage:
Laser is an excellent way to lighten hyperpigmentation. It is important that you stay out of the sun while receiving laser treatments. Our GentleLase Alexandrite laser has been a gold standard in treating photodamage for years. You will likely need around 4-6 treatments of laser at a time. Again…come fall, after a fun summer outdoors, you’ll likely need to come back for a little clean-up!
There are several topical treatments that may be used year-round to lighten hyperpigmentation. Whether you use hydroquinone or non-hydroquinone products, topicals are a great way to keep your skin bright throughout the year.
3. Chemical Peels
A series of chemical peels will not only help lighten brown spots, it will improve your overall skin tone and texture and appearance of pore size. Chemical peels remove the top layer of dead skin cells. Your body will produce its own collagen, revealing brightened, new skin. We recommend a corrective series of 6 peels to put your skin through a customized skincare boot camp program designed to meet your individual needs. After this, you may continue to receive maintenance peels throughout the year.
Any combination of these treatments is even better if your goal is to “flush the brown out of your spots!”
And guess what the greatest preventative treatment is? SUNSCREEN! Always, always, always make sure your skin is protected with a good physical barrier SPF, even if you’re not planning on spending a lot of time outside. And remember…even though we feel like going into hibernation for the winter-the sun and its damaging rays do not! Sunscreen is just as important in winter to prevent brown spots from coming back! You’ll notice that the left side of your face typically looks more aged than the right. The reason? Sun exposure from driving in the car. So don’t skimp on the sunscreen.
Make your appointment with an Aesthetic Specialist today to get a customized skin assessment! We’ll help you develop a skincare plan that suits you best!
Dr. Sherman Joins eHealth Radio to Discuss Wrinkle Busters 101
Wrinkle Busters 101
Dr. Deborah Sherman, Board Certified Ophthalmologist and fellowship trained Eye Plastic Surgeon and Founder of Sherman Aesthetic Center, located in Nashville, TN joins eHealth Radio & the Plastic Surgery Information Channel to discuss how to give your face a healthy, natural look with wrinkle-busting treatments.
Listen to interview with host Eric Michaels & guest Dr. Deborah Sherman discuss the following:
- What types of wrinkles form and where do they occur on your face?
- What causes the different types of wrinkles and can you explain how the aging process plays a role in the formation of these bothersome wrinkles that make us look old and tired?
- Can you explain the treatment options for each type of wrinkle and what areas of the face respond best? Any prevention tips?
- With all of the treatment choices you just described, if I am 40, my face is starting to sag, and I see “11s” between my brows with some bags around my eyes, how do I know whether I need surgery or non-surgical treatments? Which one do I do first?
- How do I know that these advanced wrinkle-busting treatments will make me look youthful and natural, not “overdone” and artificial?
As we age, it often feels as if our faces “melt”. We often hear “It looks like someone held a candle near my face, and it just started melting!” or “Gravity, baby. It’s all falling down.”
Sounds about right, but gravity actually isn’t the cause of facial aging. As the years pass, the structure of the face begins to shift and change. There is fat loss and repositioning, bone density loss, and slower production of collagen. Muscle contraction from smiling, eating, yawning, frowning causes lines to begin to form around eyes, cheeks, and mouth. UV damage from time in the sun causes age spots, loss of elasticity, and wrinkling.
We expect some of the brown sun spots, the tired eyes, the smile lines…but one thing that sneaks up on us is the change seen in the lips. Lips will seem to “shrink”, vertical lines above and below the lips appear, and lipstick begins to bleed. The “cupid’s bow”, the little v-shape in the middle of the upper lip, flattens. The plump, perky lips that gave kisses and smiles are becoming flat and thin, and are giving us away…suddenly our face seems to look much older.
What to do?
Can anything be done to prevent all of this?
Certainly a lip balm with sunscreen is helpful to protect the lips from aging from harmful UV rays. Drinking out of a straw can be curbed, and obviously, smoking is detrimental to lips (among other things).
Still, with all of these things under control, lips lose their stuffing and elasticity.
So fill ‘em up! The good news is, there are multiple hyaluronic acid fillers that may be used to improve lip definition, proportion, and volume. “Proportion” is an important word. A 60-year-old won’t have a 20 year-old’s lips. And they shouldn’t. It looks unnatural and disproportionate to the rest of their face. Too much filler in the wrong places gives an unnatural appearance and “trout pout”…you know what I mean. This happens when too much filler is put in the wrong place. Filler is should only be given by a Master Injector who will skillfully and artistically places the filler in the correct places with the correct amount. Lips should compliment the rest of the face…they should never “walk into the room” before you do. A well-done lip is subtle and appropriate for your face. Not to mention it sheds a few years off of your stated age J
The Right Tools for the Right Project
The wonderful thing (and the sad thing) about hyaluronic acid (H.A.) fillers is that your body produces H.A. naturally. The filler will gradually dissolve over time, and your lips will appear as they did before you ever got the filler. More permanent fillers are dangerous and tend to shift over time, sometimes causing more trouble than they’re worth.
The Next Best Thing!
More good news: Volbella has been FDA-approved in the United States! It is an H.A. filler specifically designed for the lips that we are SO excited about! More to come on Volbella. You’ll be the first to know when it officially arrives in our office!
Dr. Sherman on Nashville Channel 4 WSMV TONIGHT!
Dr. Deb will be featured on Nashville News Channel 4 this evening, July 7, 2015, to discuss Kybella, the latest injectable treatment for the “double chin”! Be sure to tune in to Channel 4 WSMV to hear about this exciting new injectable treatment from the premier Nashville injector, Dr. Deborah Sherman. The segment will air at 4 pm and 6:30pm Central Time.
Call our office to schedule a free facial analysis to find out if you are a candidate for Kybella at 615-297-5798.
Dr. Sherman featured on eHealth Radio!
Dr. Sherman was recently invited to discuss “Lose your Number 11 with Botox Cosmetic: Know the Myths and Facts”
Listen to interview with host Eric Michaels & guest Dr. Deborah Sherman discuss the following:
- What does “lose your 11” refer to?
- How does BOTOX relieve the ‘11’?
- What would you say are some common misconceptions about BOTOX?
- What is the most important thing you tell your patients about getting BOTOX treatments?
- What other issues can BOTOX resolve?
To learn more about this topic, Botox or how to lose your Number 11, feel free to contact us today and schedule a consultation with Dr. Sherman!
Sunscreen: What You Need to Know
Summer is fast approaching!
With plans for vacation in the sun, working/playing outside, and spending some much-needed time poolside, your skin can take a massive hit. It is so important to protect your skin from the damaging effects of the sun, not only to prevent signs of aging like wrinkles and sun spots, but also to prevent skin cancer. Studies show that those that properly use sunscreen on a daily basis, not only look younger with less wrinkles, but also have a lower incidence of locally destructive basal and squamous cell skin cancers. Sunscreen users also have less risk for the life threatening deadly malignant melanoma. So use sunscreen for vibrant skin, health, and wellness!
Here are some tips to keep your skin healthy and youthful:
- Find a sunscreen that will not be irritating to your skin. We recommend looking for titanium dioxide and zinc on the ingredient label. These “physical barriers” to the sun tend to be best for all skin types, including sensitive skin. Most aesthetic physicians that specialize in skin care would agree that if you can only use one skin care product, that sunscreen is by far your first and best choice.
- Find a sunscreen that you like. The likelihood that you will actually use it increases if you like the sunscreen that you’ve purchased. There are multiple options for sunscreen, some including sunscreen with a moisturizer or in powder form. See below for some of our favorites!
- Use SPF 30-SPF 50 broad-spectrum sunscreen. Broad-spectrum sunscreens protect you from both UVA (ultraviolet rays that cause wrinkling, sun spots, and premature aging) and UVB (rays that cause sunburn). Sunscreens that boast an SPF higher than SPF 50 don’t actually give significantly more protection from the sun, so it isn’t really necessary to use higher than SPF 50.
- Sunscreen of at least SPF 15 should be applied every day. If you are going to be outside, reapply sunscreen every 2 hours, more if you’re sweating or getting wet. This is a rule that should be followed regardless of the SPF. Many makeup formulations claim to have sunscreen in them, but an SPF lower than SPF 15 gives very minimal protection. Be sure to check the label!
- The way that you use your sunscreen is important! Use it often, and use it generously. A nice even coat of about a shot glass’s-worth of sunscreen is sufficient for most. And don’t forget to cover places like your hands, neck, ears, and the top of your head (if you’re balding or have exposed skin)! These are often forgotten but are just as susceptible to sun damage.
- Remember that no sunscreen can ever fully protect you from the sun’s harmful rays. If you are going to be out in the sun, wear a hat and protective clothing in addition to your sunscreen.
So enjoy your summer! Get outside and play…just make sure you are properly protecting your skin. It’s worth it to look and feel good!
Here are a few of our favorites that are available for purchase at Sherman Aesthetic Center:
- Revision Intellishade Broad-Spectrum (Original and Matte) SPF 45: This anti-aging moisturizer is a great “all-in-one” sunscreen. It not only protects from the sun with zinc and octinoxate, it reduces appearance of pore size, gives antioxidant benefits with Vitamin C, and helps reduce fine lines and wrinkles (White Birch extract, Co-Q 10, Plankton Extract, Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Extract)! All of this with a tint to enhance your skin’s natural tone.
- Revision Multi-Protection Broad-Spectrum SPF 50: All of the benefits of Intellishade with added Vitamin E and Pomegranate Extract for strong antioxidant benefit. This sunscreen boasts Avobenzone, Octinoxate, and Oxybenzone to protect your skin from the sun with no tint.
- Colorescience SPF 30 & SPF 50: Sunscreen in powder form! We love this option to sweep on throughout the day. It can be swept on over your makeup without interruption. This powder sunscreen is available in clear, fair, medium, and tan tints. Dr Sherman likes to keep one in her purse and one in her car so she can reapply any time without smearing or smudging any makeup. It’s great for use on your hands to protect them from unwanted sun exposure while driving as well!
- Skinceuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense SPF 50: All physical barrier sunscreen with sheer tint universal to all skin tones. Lightweight and water-resistant up to 40 minutes. Great to put on under makeup! We love that it is non-greasy and straightforward. Fantastic broad-spectrum sunscreen!
- Skinceuticals Physical UV Defense SPF 30: This 100% mineral physical barrier sunscreen is perfect for post-procedure, sensitive, or dry skin. It is sheer, lightweight, fragrance-free, and paraben-free. Zinc and titanium are the UVA/UVB defenders. Artemia salina, a plankton extract, protect against UV and heat stress. Great everyday moisturizer!
For more information and tips, visit:
Welcome the latest and greatest filler: Restylane Silk.
Your Ideal Lips!
Everyone’s facial structure is different — and so is everyone’s ideal lip shape and size. Restylane® Silk is the first and only FDA-approved product specifically designed for subtle lip enhancement and the smoothing of wrinkles and lines around the mouth in patients 21 years of age and older. Restore your smile and achieve your ideal lips with Restylane Silk.
See what others are saying
In a clinical study of patients treated with Restylane Silk or no treatment, clinical investigators reported:
77% of patients treated with Restylane Silk showed at least a one-point improvement in lip fullness (measured on a 5-point scale) eight weeks after treatment.
59% of patients treated with Restylane Silk maintained lip fullness six months after treatment.
For more information and real patient results, visit www.restylanesilk.com
Dermal Filler FAQs
Dermal Filler FAQs
1. What are dermal fillers?
Dermal fillers are used to restore lost volume to the face. The most popular fillers are made of hyaluronic acid, which is found naturally in the connective tissue of the body. Fillers can also soften lines, wrinkles, and give volume to “sunken” areas of the face. By treating these areas, a 30 minute filler session can provide a more youthful facial shape with a positive facial message.
2. How do dermal fillers work?
Hyaluronic acid fillers are “hydrophilic”, meaning they attract water from surrounding tissue. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring building block of the skin. By replacing the body’s own youthful substance, a filler treatment can reduce the appearance of folds, wrinkles, and replace facial volume, giving you a softer, more natural, youthful look.
3. What are the benefits of dermal fillers?
In the hands of a Master Injector, fillers definitely produce a softer, more refreshed appearance. They can also encourage the body to produce more collagen. This “new collagen” response is part of the body repairing itself in the injection area.
4. What are the risks of dermal filler injections?
The most common side effects of filler injections are swelling and bruising. This varies from person to person, depending on how your body responds. It is helpful to avoid any blood thinning medications 2 weeks prior to your treatment to prevent bruising. As always, consult with your physician before discontinuing any medications.
For best results, it’s very important that you see an experienced aesthetic injector with the highest level of training that understands the specific techniques that are crucial to minimize risks of complications, such as infections, and answer your questions related to your specific concerns.
5. What areas can be treated?
A Master Injector will analyze your facial structure and your concerns to develop the optimal results. When you look at a person’s face, they may look tired, stressed or timid without even speaking. At the Sherman Aesthetic Center, our highly trained aesthetic professionals will assess your personal needs to determine which facial area needs treatment to most benefit your facial message. Common treatment areas include cheeks, mouth corners, nasolabial folds, marionette lines, wasting temples, saggy jaw lines, and the pre-jowl sulcus area. At the Sherman Aesthetic Center, in order to put your best face forward, we always prioritize which facial area should be treated first for best results within the confines of your cosmetic budget.
6. How long does a dermal filler treatment last?
The duration of the filler depends upon which filler is used and how quickly each individual metabolizes the filler. Most last from 6 months to one year. Others may last up to two years.
7. Can I be allergic to dermal fillers?
Allergies to the newest generation of hyaluronic acid fillers are extremely rare, as hyaluronic acid is found naturally in the connective tissue of your body. For this reason, allergy testing is not needed.
8. Are dermal fillers safe for cosmetic use?
Yes. Dr. Sherman believes the fillers are safe and gets filler treatments on a regular basis.
9. Can dermal fillers be used with other treatments?
Yes. Our Master Injectors commonly give Botox and filler are given on the same day in our office, though these may certainly be separated. Any laser treatments, peels, facials, etc should be spaced two weeks apart from your filler appointment. Many choose to use filler after having cosmetic surgery as well, which further adds to the natural youthful look to keep people guessing your true age!
10. Are dermal fillers only for women?
The number of men treated with filler has certainly been on the rise. Men and women alike benefit from filler. Many professionals are choosing filler as a competitive edge treatment to dress for success because your face is your “calling card”.
11. Are there any restrictions in my activity after a filler treatment?
The best thing about dermal fillers is that the results are immediate, and you can continue your daily activities without interruption. Swelling may increase with increased activity, but you may resume your normal activity (including working out!). The most important thing to remember is to minimize how much you touch your face and to sleep on your back if you can. Try not to schedule your treatment close to any special events, as swelling and bruising can occur.
12. What is the best dermal filler for anti-aging?
It depends on what feature of your face shows your aging characteristics, the amount of gravitational pull on your face in a particular area, your skin quality and thickness, and what facial feature you want to emphasize with your treatment. For some it’s their eyes, and for others it’s the mouth or cheeks. Choice of filler becomes like paint in our palette to choose the art we wish to create. Our Master Injectors, which include a Board Certified Oculofacial Surgeon, a Board Certified Physician’s Assistant, and an Aesthetic RN can help you choose the filler that creates your best look.
13. Are dermal filler injections painful?
There is some discomfort associated with filler injections. To minimize this, a topical anesthetic may be used. In most cases, the filler itself contains a numbing medication, so once the filler is injected, any discomfort is minimal. Most patients would describe the filler experience as very tolerable and some will report some mild soreness right after the filler treatment.
14. What is the best dermal filler for cheeks?
The newest filler for cheeks is Voluma which provides a great amount of “bounce” and gives a smooth lift with a natural look to the cheek area. Studies show that Voluma can last up to 2 years, depending on how your body processes filler. Your Master Injector will analyze your face with a free facial analysis to decide if Voluma is right for you.
15. How often can I have dermal fillers injected?
A Master Injector will assess your individual needs and develop a filler treatment plan that is unique to you. This is individualized to the patient, considering many factors in your personalized treatment plan. The good news is that there are some excellent filler treatment options available that can create amazing results with a well trained Master Injector using the right product with the right techniques.