The saying “You are what you eat!” is an old one, but true. In our fast-paced world, we often excuse making healthy eating choices because we are “too busy.” It’s easy to grab something quick and run out the door to satisfy hunger…no matter what it is. Our bodies run tired and unhealthy when we fill them with the wrong fuel. Eating fried, sugary, salty foods,etc not only takes its toll on the inside of our bodies, it hastens the aging process on the outside as well.
The secret to beautiful, glowing, healthy skin starts here: with your grocery list. Read up on some amazing super foods that will help get you back on track…naturally!
Most of these foods are easy to grab and munch on throughout the day, and their benefits extend beyond just your skin!
- Blueberries- Blueberries are PACKED with antioxidants! Antioxidants fight off free radicals (smoke, harmful UV rays, pollution, etc) at a cellular level that cause your skin to age and wrinkle. Toss a few in your bag to snack on, add them to your cereal, oatmeal, or yogurt, or buy frozen and add them to your smoothie.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids- (found in salmon, flax seed oil, tuna, etc) are essential to repairing skin cells from the inside out. They are emollients that moisturize skin and improve skin texture, preventing premature aging, and also have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Tomatoes- Lycopene, a very powerful antioxidant found in tomatoes, protects cells from damage…including UV damage that ages the skin. It is abundant in any form, but is actually easier for the body to use after tomatoes have been canned or processed (it changes form in the heating process)! Bonus: lycopene may prevent cancer and heart disease. Add fresh tomatoes to your salad, have a glass of tomato juice, or use stewed tomatoes for pasta or pizza sauce.
- Avocado- Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and monounsaturated fats, carotenoids…these work to improve skin density and texture, collagen and elastin production, and prevent lines, wrinkles, and sun damage. Add avocado to sandwiches, salads, or make a batch of guacamole.
- Carrots- Carrots are an excellent source of Vitamin A, important for skin, hair, and nail health. Eat them raw with a healthy dip, steamed, roasted, or in a soup
- Cucumber- Cucumber peel is rich in silica, a mineral not found in many foods. It is responsible for collagen and elastin that gives your skin a youthful bounce! Add cucumber to your salads or to your sandwich for a boost!
- Water- Hydration! Your skin needs to be hydrated, just like the rest of you. You’ll notice a difference in your skin when you’ve had little or no water to drink. Puffiness around the eyes in the morning and dullness of the skin are outward indicators that you’re not drinking enough water.
- Greek Yogurt- Greek yogurt has double the protein of regular yogurt. Protein is important for the growth of collagen. When collagen breaks down, wrinkles are formed. Protein helps keep collagen fortified and prevents wrinkles from forming. Greek yogurt is a great substitute for sour cream and is a wonderful breakfast, lunch, or snack option.
There’s more to healthy skin than what you put on it, so beautify your skin from the inside out with these power-packed foods. It’s all about getting back to basics and making better food choices for a healthier, more beautiful you!