Tag Archives: anti-aging
Sunscreen: What You Need to Know
Summer is fast approaching!
With plans for vacation in the sun, working/playing outside, and spending some much-needed time poolside, your skin can take a massive hit. It is so important to protect your skin from the damaging effects of the sun, not only to prevent signs of aging like wrinkles and sun spots, but also to prevent skin cancer. Studies show that those that properly use sunscreen on a daily basis, not only look younger with less wrinkles, but also have a lower incidence of locally destructive basal and squamous cell skin cancers. Sunscreen users also have less risk for the life threatening deadly malignant melanoma. So use sunscreen for vibrant skin, health, and wellness!
Here are some tips to keep your skin healthy and youthful:
- Find a sunscreen that will not be irritating to your skin. We recommend looking for titanium dioxide and zinc on the ingredient label. These “physical barriers” to the sun tend to be best for all skin types, including sensitive skin. Most aesthetic physicians that specialize in skin care would agree that if you can only use one skin care product, that sunscreen is by far your first and best choice.
- Find a sunscreen that you like. The likelihood that you will actually use it increases if you like the sunscreen that you’ve purchased. There are multiple options for sunscreen, some including sunscreen with a moisturizer or in powder form. See below for some of our favorites!
- Use SPF 30-SPF 50 broad-spectrum sunscreen. Broad-spectrum sunscreens protect you from both UVA (ultraviolet rays that cause wrinkling, sun spots, and premature aging) and UVB (rays that cause sunburn). Sunscreens that boast an SPF higher than SPF 50 don’t actually give significantly more protection from the sun, so it isn’t really necessary to use higher than SPF 50.
- Sunscreen of at least SPF 15 should be applied every day. If you are going to be outside, reapply sunscreen every 2 hours, more if you’re sweating or getting wet. This is a rule that should be followed regardless of the SPF. Many makeup formulations claim to have sunscreen in them, but an SPF lower than SPF 15 gives very minimal protection. Be sure to check the label!
- The way that you use your sunscreen is important! Use it often, and use it generously. A nice even coat of about a shot glass’s-worth of sunscreen is sufficient for most. And don’t forget to cover places like your hands, neck, ears, and the top of your head (if you’re balding or have exposed skin)! These are often forgotten but are just as susceptible to sun damage.
- Remember that no sunscreen can ever fully protect you from the sun’s harmful rays. If you are going to be out in the sun, wear a hat and protective clothing in addition to your sunscreen.
So enjoy your summer! Get outside and play…just make sure you are properly protecting your skin. It’s worth it to look and feel good!
Here are a few of our favorites that are available for purchase at Sherman Aesthetic Center:
- Revision Intellishade Broad-Spectrum (Original and Matte) SPF 45: This anti-aging moisturizer is a great “all-in-one” sunscreen. It not only protects from the sun with zinc and octinoxate, it reduces appearance of pore size, gives antioxidant benefits with Vitamin C, and helps reduce fine lines and wrinkles (White Birch extract, Co-Q 10, Plankton Extract, Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Extract)! All of this with a tint to enhance your skin’s natural tone.
- Revision Multi-Protection Broad-Spectrum SPF 50: All of the benefits of Intellishade with added Vitamin E and Pomegranate Extract for strong antioxidant benefit. This sunscreen boasts Avobenzone, Octinoxate, and Oxybenzone to protect your skin from the sun with no tint.
- Colorescience SPF 30 & SPF 50: Sunscreen in powder form! We love this option to sweep on throughout the day. It can be swept on over your makeup without interruption. This powder sunscreen is available in clear, fair, medium, and tan tints. Dr Sherman likes to keep one in her purse and one in her car so she can reapply any time without smearing or smudging any makeup. It’s great for use on your hands to protect them from unwanted sun exposure while driving as well!
- Skinceuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense SPF 50: All physical barrier sunscreen with sheer tint universal to all skin tones. Lightweight and water-resistant up to 40 minutes. Great to put on under makeup! We love that it is non-greasy and straightforward. Fantastic broad-spectrum sunscreen!
- Skinceuticals Physical UV Defense SPF 30: This 100% mineral physical barrier sunscreen is perfect for post-procedure, sensitive, or dry skin. It is sheer, lightweight, fragrance-free, and paraben-free. Zinc and titanium are the UVA/UVB defenders. Artemia salina, a plankton extract, protect against UV and heat stress. Great everyday moisturizer!
For more information and tips, visit:
Ten Ways to Natural Beauty
At Sherman Aesthetic Center, we believe everyone deserves to achieve natural beauty. That’s why we are dedicated to providing you with the ultimate skin experience.
To acquire the optimal aesthetic benefits in the shortest period of time, we have compiled Dr. Sherman’s 10 non-surgical ways to beauty!
- TNS Essential Serum is a revolutionary skin treatment serum that makes your skin think young again. Empowered by naturally occurring growth factors, antioxidants, soluble collagen and cytokines, it works on a molecular level to rejuvenate and purify your skin.
- Botox is a purified protein used to lose your “11,” soften your crows feet, and turn your frown upside down! By putting overactive muscles in a temporary time-out, you reverse and prevent wrinkles caused by muscle movement. Because of the success of the Botox brow lift, for 15 years running, Botox treatments are the number one cosmetic treatment men and women choose. Why? Because it works to achieve a natural look when given by a master injector, like those you find at Sherman Aesthetic Center!
- Filler is an instant beauty treatment to soften and reduce wrinkles caused by loss of volume that occurs after age 35. You can reduce bothersome aging parenthetical lines around your mouth, reverse the downward turn of the corners of your mouth, get an instant cheek lift, soften crows feet, and contour the jaw line. The best thing about filler is the results happen before you walk out the door! Sherman Aesthetic Center injectors have over 50 years of experience combined to give you a fresh and youthful look.
- If Botox is the number one cosmetic treatment men and women choose, using facial filler as a complement to Botox and placed in strategic positions achieves the ultimate youthful look. This liquid lift is a lunch time procedure that can treat cheek and jawline deformities which produces an immediate lift to the facial structures that every woman loves. Because no two wrinkles or faces are alike, it takes a well-trained master injector to analyze and perform the liquid lift to achieve the best results.
- Laser treatments helps reduce brown spots, unwanted hair, and broken blood vessels that show the hands of time! With consistent treatments and the highest level of expertise, a laser treatment at the Sherman Aesthetic Center can be customized to your schedule, skin type, and desired results.
- Lytera is the newest clinically proven skin lightening cream to brighten the appearance of brown spots and transform skin discoloration into brighter, more luminous, youthful looking skin. Unlike hydroquinones, Lytera can be used all year round and is the best maintenance treatment during the summer months.
- Retinol/Retin-A stimulates cell turnover, which increases new and healthy skin providing a youthful look. This process normally occurs in your youth, however, as we age the process slows allowing fine lines and wrinkles to form. Retinol/Retin-A jump starts the cell turnover process, keeping your skin young. A facial analysis at the Sherman Aesthetic Center will determine which form of Retinol/Retin-A is right for you.
- While Botox and filler work to reduce wrinkles in the deep layers of the skin, chemical peels polish the surface of the skin, promoting reflection of light which purifies your complexion. If you are experiencing brown sun spots, acne, acne scarring, oily skin, fines lines & wrinkles, or irregular tone and texture, a customized series of peels by well trained skin professionals can reverse the damage and achieve excellent results in a very short time.
- A common complaint of every woman over 30 is the aggravating dark circles and wrinkles under the eyes. As time passes, the skin begins to thin like tissue paper and the age begins to show in our eyes. This requires maximum moisturizers, growth factors and protecting antioxidants to boost and rejuvenate the skin under our eyes. By using a scientifically based eye cream with powerful ingredients, you can diminish the signs of aging around the eyes.
- How do we really know what our skin health is? What underlying issues are causing our day to day skin frustrations? An Emage analysis, which is a computerized 3-D facial analysis, determines the health of your skin by measuring 8 key parameters that are essential to beauty. This allows Sherman Aesthetic Center to customize a treatment plan that is specific to your skin!
If you want to know which non-surgical beauty treatment is right for you, call the Sherman Aesthetic Center at (615) 297-5798 to schedule a consultation! For the next 30 days, the first 50 callers can experience a FREE Emage analysis ($250 Value).