Author Archives: Sherman Aesthetic Center
Juvederm Volbella XC Infographic
Sherman Aesthetic Center created this infographic on the newest FDA-approved facial filler, Juvéderm Volbella XC, to help their patients understand what it does, how it works, and how it’s different from other fillers. Juvéderm Volbella can help individuals receive the perfect pout while also smoothing lines around the mouth.
- youthful lip contour with a subtle smoothing
- made by Allergan, the makers of Botox
- FDA-approved and clinically proven to last up to 1 year
- used to soften the appearance of lines around the mouth
The difference is:
- less swelling than other fillers
- more of a glossy, subtle plumping effect rather than enlargement
- ideal for “smokers lines”
- effective on fine lines and wrinkles all over the face
The results of Juvéderm Volbella are proven to last up to one year. Also, Juvéderm Volbella has a 70% Worth It Rating on Realself.com.
For more information on Juvéderm Volbella XC or to schedule your consultation, please contact Sherman Aesthetic Center today!
5 Things to Know about Kybella
Sherman Aesthetic Center created a Kybella infographic to discuss five things everyone considering the procedure should know.
- Kybella is the first FDA-approved injectable treatment to help contour and improve appearance of submental fullness, or “double chin.”
- Kybella is a 2-minute injection that destroys fat cells under the chin without surgery or anesthesia. The fat cells are then unable to store or accumulate fat.
- Most patients see improvement with two treatments, but more may be necessary.
- Each treatment session takes less than five minutes.
- The most common side effect are swelling and bruising, but almost all of Sherman Aesthetic Center’s patients return to work the next day!
For more information on whether Kybella is right for you, contact Dr. Sherman and her team for your consultation.
Dr. Sherman Joins eHealth Radio to Discuss Wrinkle Busters 101
Wrinkle Busters 101
Dr. Deborah Sherman, Board Certified Ophthalmologist and fellowship trained Eye Plastic Surgeon and Founder of Sherman Aesthetic Center, located in Nashville, TN joins eHealth Radio & the Plastic Surgery Information Channel to discuss how to give your face a healthy, natural look with wrinkle-busting treatments.
Listen to interview with host Eric Michaels & guest Dr. Deborah Sherman discuss the following:
- What types of wrinkles form and where do they occur on your face?
- What causes the different types of wrinkles and can you explain how the aging process plays a role in the formation of these bothersome wrinkles that make us look old and tired?
- Can you explain the treatment options for each type of wrinkle and what areas of the face respond best? Any prevention tips?
- With all of the treatment choices you just described, if I am 40, my face is starting to sag, and I see “11s” between my brows with some bags around my eyes, how do I know whether I need surgery or non-surgical treatments? Which one do I do first?
- How do I know that these advanced wrinkle-busting treatments will make me look youthful and natural, not “overdone” and artificial?
Brow Lift: Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is a brow lift?
A brow lift is a surgical procedure that is performed to return the brow back to its natural, refreshed position. We tend to get horizontal wrinkles across our forehead-why? Because we all tend to raise our brows in order to reduce the fold above our eyes that can begin to affect our peripheral vision (and, lets be honest, raising our brow makes us look better in a selfie). A brow lift relieves this tension by raising the brow-so you don’t constantly flex your forehead muscles that can give you a chronic headache or strain.
2. What is the difference between blepharoplasty and a brow lift?
A Blepharoplasty reduces the fold above the eye by reducing fat pockets and excess skin. The fat pockets come forward as the skin loses elasticity and ages. A brow lift raises the brow to further reduce the fold above the eyes. Our brows fall due to an involuntary muscle pull that often creates the “11’s” between the brows, as well as genetic factors and gravity pulling the brow down.
3. Is a brow lift (forehead lift) better to raise sagging eyelids than a blepharoplasty?
One procedure is not better than the other, rather, they compliment each other. We see a lot of patients who wish for the entire fold above the eye to be gone with a blepharoplasty (reducing the skin above and eye) but here is what most people do not understand- 50% of the fold often is caused by a low brow position. If the brow is not raised, and the entire fold is removed, this would make the brows even lower! Often, combining a brow lift with a blepharoplasty can optimally reduce the lid fold with a natural refreshed look because it keeps your face in it’s natural proportions.
4. Can asymmetric eyes or eyebrows be fixed?
Most of us have some level of asymmetry in our facial anatomy. Surgery may help balance some level of brow asymmetry (and Botox can also play a key role in balancing the brows as well!)
5. Will I have visible scars after surgery?
What can I do to lessen scars? The incisions that are created for the brow lift are hidden in the hairline. Depending on the thickness of the hair in the area will determine visibility. We also have a scar recovery gel that is wonderful to expedite the fading of a scar!
6. Non-surgical ways to help sagging brow area?
Botox is the best non-surgical option to reduce the tension in the brow and as Botox causes the brow depressor muscles relax. Subsequently, you will start to see the lifting muscle in the forehead win the “tug of war” and then you experience the magical “botox brow lift.”
7. What is recovery from brow lift like?
You may have some bruising and swelling after surgery that will resolve in several days as you ice the area.
8. What is an endoscopic brow lift?
An endoscopic brow lift is a procedure that uses a small microscope through 3-5 small incisions in the hairline to place the brows in a natural position. As a Board Certified Oculofacial Surgeon with over 25 years experience, I can tell you with confidence that this can be achieved without the “surprised” look (we all know those people that look like they are in a permanent wind tunnel). An endoscopic brow lift can achieve a refreshed, youthful look , allowing your eyes to again be your best feature as they are the first place someone looks when people meet you.
9. Can you use injectables for a brow lift?
Yes! Although Botox cannot create the lift that a surgical hidden incision brow lift can, it can relax the stressed, tired area between the brows as well as prevent the brow from becoming lower! If you do have a hidden incision endoscopic brow lift procedure, we also encourage you to treat your brow AT LEAST twice a year in order to keep those brows lifted! A brow lift doesn’t stop gravity, nor does it completely eliminate muscular movement between the brows, therefore, Botox is a great partner to the surgery to extend the life of the lift and keep your eyes looking their best.
If you have further questions, all of these can be answered with a customized facial analysis at the Sherman Aesthetic Center to determine what is right for your eyes and your face.
Frequently Asked Questions: Lip Augmentation & Enhancement
1. What is the best filler for Lip enhancement?
With a growing number of fillers available, it is even more important to go to a Master Injector who has advanced knowledge to determine which filler will create the most NATURAL looking lips. If you have a more petite lip, or you have very fine lines above the lip your lipstick bleeds into, Restylane Silk or Juvederm Volbella may be the best choice. If you have more youthful lips that need a proportional adjustment with a little extra volume in the upper or lower lip or the mouth corners upturned, Juvederm Ultra may erase your lipstick frustrations.
2. Is lip augmentation permanent?
Although the idea of a permanent lip treatment might initially sound great as it implies a long lasting result, but be aware that permanent treatments can cause permanent problems! Under a surgical procedure, implants can be placed permanently, but will your lip still age around the implant? YES! This means that the implant could show through thinning lip skin and look very strange with time, creating an unnatural appearance. If you use permanent filler, will that create a lip that never ages and does not have to be injected again? No. There is no magic wand that stops time! And permanent filler may create major problems as you age. As the border of the lip ages, permanent filler in the lip starts to look unnatural. The sad truth is that there is really no effective treatment to remove permanent lip filler except to cut it out and no one wants that! Beware of permanent fillers with no treatment option of reversibility!
3. What is the best permanent Lip augmentation option?
In our expert opinion, permanent lip filler is not the best option to give you the most natural lips-lips that age gracefully as you do.
4. What lip filler lasts the longest?
The fillers we recommend that have been FDA approved for lip injections such as Juvederm and Restylane Silk have up to a 1 year indication.
5. How can I get natural looking lips with lip enhancement?
When you come in for a facial analysis at the Sherman Aesthetic Center, a Master Injector will evaluate your lips. Dr. Sherman and her expertly trained Master Injectors will perform an 8 point natural lip analysis to develop a customized natural look for your kissable lips!
6. How can I avoid “over-done” lips?
Stop looking to Kylie Jenner for your example, and start looking at fresh younger, hydrated lips-what do you notice? Do you see that the lines are not as “shriveled” or dehydrated in the body of the lip? That the proportion of the upper and lower lip is balanced? That the corners of the mouth are gently upturned, and that the upper lip has a defined 3-D border and the lower lip has proportional projection? That natural symmetry is what a Master Injector is trained to create. This creates less work outlining your lip, and more time to try out different colors! Our patients often comment that after the youthful lip boost our Master Injectors create, that for the first time in years, their lips look fresh and youthful with just a touch of clear lip gloss! It reminds them of the lips they had in high school!
7. Can I be allergic to lip fillers?
Allergies to hyaluronic acid fillers are very rare. Hyaluronic acid is a basic building block of skin. It’s found in our joints and connective tissue naturally, so it is very rare for someone to have a reaction to the filler itself. Numbing agents can be applied topically and are in the filler itself. Rarely, individuals may have an allergic reaction to these numbing agents.
8. Who should I trust with my lip augmentation?
Only trust an experienced Master Injector when having your lips injected. A Master Injector, like those at Sherman Aesthetic Center, will give you the most natural enhanced lip with filler, with appropriate proportion and volume. The Master Injector’s at Sherman Aesthetic Center offer a subtle “Youthful Lip Boost,” which is an inexpensive way to soften lip lines and create a more youthful lip.
9. What are the risks and side effects of lip augmentation?
Swelling and bruising are the most common side effects of lip augmentation.
10. What are the aftercare instructions for lip fillers?
You may gently ice your lips after injections.
11. When can I eat after lip augmentation?
You can eat whatever you want, but salty foods and alcohol will may your lips swell even more in the first few days after injection. Sipping through a straw and smoking are not recommended for a few days after your lip injections.
New You Infographic
Sherman Aesthetic Center has created an infographic that outlines the best procedure this year to achieve a new you! These surgical and non-surgical procedures will help you achieve a fresh new persona.
Dr. Sherman can help you achieve a refreshed, natural appearance through cosmetic surgery and/or injectables. The infographic details procedures like Eyelid Lift, Botox Cosmetic, Juvederm, and Kybella, and provides how patients of these procedures rate its worth.
Dr. Sherman On eHealth Radio To Discuss Kybella
Dr. Deborah Sherman, Board Certified Oculofacial Surgeon and Founder of Sherman Aesthetic Center again joins eHealth Radio and the Plastic Surgery Information Channel to discuss the Kybella procedure.
Dr. Sherman is a National Trainer for Kybella and teaches other physicians nationally and internationally how to perform this new first-in-class FDA approved aesthetic treatment for the Double Chin.
Listen to interview with host Eric Michaels and guest Dr. Deborah Sherman discuss the following:
- What is Kybella?
- Who is the best candidate for Kybella and why would someone choose it over a facelift?
- Tell us about results. How long are they expected to last? Are there any side effects?
- How does one find the best doctor for this treatment?
- How do we know if Kybella is the right choice? When would be the right time to start Kybella?
Kybella Frequently Asked Questions
Kybella is an injectable that is used to reduce submental fulless- that area we all hate under our chin that will not go away no matter how much we diet or exercise!
2. What areas can be treated with Kybella?
The dreaded “double chin” is the only FDA approved area that can be treated with Kybella.
3. Are there any off-label uses for Kybella? If so, are they safe?
No, there are not any off-label uses for Kybella. Kybella has been studied for the submental area of the body-therefore the safety profile has only been established for this area.
4. Kybella vs. liposuction for double chin? Which would you recommend and what is the difference?
Kybella is a non-surgical injectable option for people who are on the go and do not have time for a more invasive procedure. With Kybella-you do not have to wear compression garmets, dressings, or have any wound site management. After a liposuction treatment, you usually need about 5 days of inactivity, but with Kybella you could go back to work the same day. The determination between which treatment you need can only be made by a trained professional as it depends on the area of treatment and expected results.
5. What is recovery like for Kybella injections?
The great thing about Kybella is that it is a NO downtime procedure! After a Kybella treatment, you may notice some bruising, swelling, numbness, and tenderness. This is only temporary, and you can still go about your normal daily activities.
6. How long do results from Kybella injections last?
This is our FAVORITE part about Kybella- it permanently destroys the fat cells!
7. What do I do if I gain weight after using Kybella?
As with any season of life- weight fluctuations are expected. The fat cells that Kybella treated are permanently gone-but this does not treat future fat cell accumulation.
8. Are Kybella injections painful?
There is slight discomfort with any injection, but in the hands of a Master Injector at the Sherman Aesthetic Center, we use techniques to create the best treatment experience. In fact, after a Kybella procedure one of our patients said, “That’s it? That was SO easy!”
9. How long is a Kybella treatment?
The procedure takes about 10-15 minutes- We weren’t joking, this is a simple procedure, perfect for those people who want a better “selfie!”
10. How many Kybella treatments do I need to see results?
On average, 2-3 treatments are required to gain the desired results. A Master Injector at the Sherman Aesthetic Center will be able to give you a customized analysis to determine the right treatment for you!
Dr. Sherman Is A Certified Kybella Trainer
Dr. Sherman is excited to offer the only FDA approved injectable drug to improve the appearance of moderate to severe convexity or fullness associated with submental fat in adults. Kybella is the first FDA-approved injectable treatment to help contour and improve appearance of submental fullness, or “double chin.” This first-in-class non-surgical treatment fills an unmet need in cosmetic treatments for women and men who have concern in this area.
|©2015 Dr. Deborah Sherman. All rights reserved.|
Dr. Sherman featured on eHealth Radio!
Dr. Sherman was recently invited to discuss “Lose your Number 11 with Botox Cosmetic: Know the Myths and Facts”
Listen to interview with host Eric Michaels & guest Dr. Deborah Sherman discuss the following:
- What does “lose your 11” refer to?
- How does BOTOX relieve the ‘11’?
- What would you say are some common misconceptions about BOTOX?
- What is the most important thing you tell your patients about getting BOTOX treatments?
- What other issues can BOTOX resolve?
To learn more about this topic, Botox or how to lose your Number 11, feel free to contact us today and schedule a consultation with Dr. Sherman!